• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1994 Hitachi Ex60Urg help

w2bstoned

Check your pilot controls, then your vavle bank, sounds like a vavle problem, or worst case you blew the packing out of the cyclinder:Banghead

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
we had a problem with our komatsu with the boom only moving for a few seconds and then stopping. turned out to be the ecm fuse. btw all the limit sensors on the machine are disconnected and it works fine. besides i couldnt read the japanese to set the limits anyway

busta

Occupation
Light Constuction
dipper issue

Correction to my post its actually an 1996 Hitachi EX55UR and we reversed the hydraulic lines and it will work the opposite way but still won't work both ways. So I don't think its a hydraulic issue. Also the alarm indicators go off sensing that the dipper is to close not sure if that makes a difference. I never tried without the sensors worth a try at this point machine is still down...:(

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Correction to my post its actually an 1996 Hitachi EX55UR and we reversed the hydraulic lines and it will work the opposite way but still won't work both ways. So I don't think its a hydraulic issue. Also the alarm indicators go off sensing that the dipper is to close not sure if that makes a difference. I never tried without the sensors worth a try at this point machine is still down...:(

It sounds like you have a problem in the boom position sensing circuit. I don't think you have a valve problem, switching the hoses causing symptoms to be in opposite direction inidicates hyd control valves are operating. You could have a hyd ECM problem, but I wouldn't go there yet. You said you replaced "an angle sensor". I assume your talking about one of the boom position potentiometers, there's three of them. If you replaced one of them, I hope you didn't discard it. Since the new one didn't resolve your problem, that might mean your old one is still good. If you still have the old one, put it back on and move the new one to replace the other two pots. You might get lucky and find a bad pot and fix your problem.

Abirmit

Thanks for letting me Join...
hope you all can help with some questions....

1. Looking for a source of manuals for this machine...
Hitachi USA dose not support it because it is grey market
(found this out after I got it home)

2. Does this machine have more than one ground speed?
there is a switch on the control panel that has no lable

3. is there a John Deere model of this machine?
as I have found out that Hitachi and John Deere are one in the same in
many models.

I am sure I will have more ?s later...

thanks
I have a Hitachi EX75UR-3 1996 vintage. The folks at the John Deere shop came up with a CD with any part I could possible need. It was in Japanese and englich with pictures of the parts. I caught them on a slow day and saw it as a challenge to find the info

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Abirmit is correct in Deere being able to find parts for these machines. Unlike Cat and Kobelco, who don't want to touch their grey mkt machines, Deere and Komatsu have ways of finding the parts for these machines, if the part is stocked by the U.S. distribution centers. In the case of Deere, with Hitachi grey mkt machines, even if your Deere dealer doesn't have any info on your particular grey machine, they can do what they call a "de-tec" case on your model and s/n to corporate Deere USA, who can provide your dealer with parts info needed to order parts you need. In some cases, you can get (as Abirmit stated) a parts manual for your grey machine that has picture breakdowns of components, but text in Japanese. But you can forget about getting operators and service manuals for you to work with on grey machines because there are no English versions, these machines were built for the Asian markets and their are no manuals for them in English.

pittpeng

Occupation
Farmer
Ex 55UR

busta - I got a '95 Ex55UR with the same problem. Bucket curls in one direction, boom goes down and not up. A couple years ago I had the same problem and it was a boom sensor wire getting yanked too tight when the boom was fully extended (solved it by giving the wire some slack). But this time that doesn't seem to be my problem. All the sensors read the same voltage during operation. I'm also getting a constant alarm ringing from under the seat. In case you don't know: there should be 2 override switches. One is a button in one of the control arms and another is under the seat. You can always get the machine to move this way if you have to. As ATCOEQUIP advised, I'm going to overhaul the boom sensor wiring. And I hope it's not the ECM as I don't know if its even a part that can be purchased. Please keep me up to date if you figure out what your problem is, thanks.

LJMXUK

Occupation
Motocross practice track owner
Hi,
I have just removed the slew motor & gear box as the oil from the reduction hub was running through to the slew ring bed. Firstly, we had destroyed the bearings removing the shaft. What if the best way to rebuild? Is the main shaft frozen & bearing heated? or just pressed into place? Am I correct in saying EP90 gear oil should be used? In the bed near the center joint there is some fragments of rubber. Any idea where this might have come from? Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi,
I have just removed the slew motor & gear box as the oil from the reduction hub was running through to the slew ring bed. Firstly, we had destroyed the bearings removing the shaft. What if the best way to rebuild? Is the main shaft frozen & bearing heated? or just pressed into place? Am I correct in saying EP90 gear oil should be used? In the bed near the center joint there is some fragments of rubber. Any idea where this might have come from? Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Bearing is probably a press fit, it might make it a snap to install it if it was heated a little.

EP90 should be fine for oil, or a multigrade like 85W90.

Most excavators have a rubber boot seal at the top of the center rotary swivel to keep water and trash out of slew ring area, does your rotary joint have a rubber boot seal?

special tool

Bearing is probably a press fit, it might make it a snap to install it if it was heated a little.

Most excavators have a rubber boot seal at the top of the center rotary swivel to keep water and trash out of slew ring area, does your rotary joint have a rubber boot seal?

Excellent tech advise, as usual from you.

LJMXUK

Occupation
Motocross practice track owner

Hi, The boot is in place on the centre rotary. I have fished out some bigger pieces of the rubber & it looks exactly like the rubber seal that goes around the outside of the slew ring which is seen from the underside. I am hoping that it has been replaced in the past & this is part of the old one? Why it wasn't cleaned out I don't know.
Another question, Do the planetry gears need timing when I put them together? I was looking at a reduction hub on my tractor & it says that all the punch dots on the gears should be towards the sun gear? Is there anything like this on the 2 sets of gears on the slew gearbox I am working on? Has anyone got any service manual data on this?
Thanks for your help.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Not sure about your unit. Generally speaking; if you don't find any marks on your planet gears, it doesn't require a timing procedure. Again, generally speaking. :)

Aardvark

Pretty spartan

Gday chaps
pretty spartan machines aren't they ?
Pretty solid units and bloody strong diggers I've found though
I've got a '98 EX58mu and its pretty basic stuff.
That switch could be a travel limiter perhaps.
My machines got one on the boom to stop it lifting to high.
I've had mine since 2000 and put 4500 hours on it.
Had its clothes of & been up close and personal with its gizzards plenty of times.
got a spares manual and workshop manual. ( can't give them to you but possibly could be of assistance somehow)
Cheers mate:)

Panorama

The little switch is for Power and Economy modes.

the manual says: When you change the power mode setting, the engine and pump output are automatically adjusted to meet the conditions or the needs of the job at hand:

P mode: for speed and high volume work
E mode: for normal work conditions.

Wardiker

Occupation
excavator owner, trencher owner
I just got a 1991 ex60 URG and was able to get an operators manual from dealer here in B.C. canada called Wayjex In a town called Kamloops. It may be a streatch since your in the states but if you dont have one yet you could try them, they also told me I could get a service manual for the unit as well but $400+ for that.
The # is 1-800-819-2529. Hope that helps

catokus

Is it possible to get a copy of your manuals for your Hitachi EX58mu. I'd pay you for them. I'm having a hard time finding anything in the US on my Machine.