• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1994 Areomax L9000 Running Lights

Garrison Cook

Hi all I have a 1994 Areomax L9000 that I am working on. I have install quite a few new lights on this truck. I put new tail Lights in the other day and all marker and park lights worked. So I started replacing the Side mirrors which have LEDs in them. After cutting the wires to the mirrors I noticed that all of my park lights, marker lights and tail lights quit working. However, the roof lights on the cab and lights on the new mirror are working. I have checked fuses and circuit breakers and dont see any issues. Any other suggestions would be great. I feel Like im missing a relay or fuse location somewhere. Thanks In Advance.

Truck Shop

Well then you either lost a ground or toasted a fuse/relay IMO. Start following wiring from switch to fuse panel and panel out. Also is that a toggle type switch or the Ford plunger type push/pull?

Garrison Cook

OK, There are 4 relays in the dash but not sure what they are for. I dont have fuses. Not sure what they are called, maybe circuit breakers

Truck Shop

Yeah could be breakers, haven't been in a ford dash for awhile. But I remember a fuse panel The headlights will be on relay so should markers. What type of switch?

Jonas302

The marker light switch that your describing Only turns on the roof mounted markers and maybe the mirrors lights got wired in with that as those are not factory The rest of the tail and parking lights should be on the headlight switch The "fuse" panel is in the pass side dash and is loaded with breakers but they can still be checked with a test light

Do you have headlights ?

Garrison Cook

The marker light switch that your describing Only turns on the roof mounted markers and maybe the mirrors lights got wired in with that as those are not factory The rest of the tail and parking lights should be on the headlight switch The "fuse" panel is in the pass side dash and is loaded with breakers but they can still be checked with a test light

Do you have headlights ?
The headlights are on a different toggle switch so at some poi t they have been separated

DB2

We have some Ford/Sterling Cargos that have the roof mounted clearance lights on a separate circuit from the tail/marker lights. Same mid position on the head lamp switch though. I would check your fuses carefully.

crane operator

I know one of my ford's has a electrical panel behind the passenger seat, I can't remember if it is just trailer lights in that panel, or if its for the cab electrical also. There's no fuses in there, its just a connection block. It may be worth a look to see what's behind the seat for extra wiring/ problems.

I think both of mine have a separate switch for the roof cab lights, wired separate from the headlights and tail markers.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

I've got a former plow truck 94 L9000 that has a separate switch for just about everything and then a few more work lights with their own switch. Then there's all the electronics for the different plows and spreader controller. That's a real nightmare and why I wired the solenoid valves for the hoist directly to the battery with a separate fuse.

Garrison Cook

We have some Ford/Sterling Cargos that have the roof mounted clearance lights on a separate circuit from the tail/marker lights. Same mid position on the head lamp switch though. I would check your fuses carefully.

There are only 3 fuses inside the cab in tbe dash where the circuit breakers are and they are all good.

DB2

Some models were. The larger F series (750) translated into the Acterras I believe. Also the Cargo lineup was originally Ford (CF7000 and 8000) and became Sterling SC7000 and 8000. Freightliner also produced the HC70 and 80 for a while.

crane operator

If your aeromax is a 1994 it should have the square door handles and the square door glass like this:

This is the same old cab that ford used with minor changes (doors/dash hoods were updated through the series) since the 70's

H5272.JPG

Around 1996 the new ford aeromax came out which has rectangular door handles and the angled door glass. They were a all new cab and hood. None of your cab or hood parts will be the same as this style ford. This is what the 1996-97 and up ford's look like:

1997-ford-aeromax.1.jpg

1998 Sterling was created when freightliner/daimler bought out ford's heavy truck division. They are essentially the same as the 1996 and up ford's.

They look like this:

They essentially just changed the grill and new badges, but the cab and hood are all like the very last of the ford's- 1996 and up.

29015.1.jpg