• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1991 Telelect Captain II Digger Derrick removal

Steven66

I will preface this post by saying that I don't have much experience with cranes, especially digger derricks. I recently bought a 1991 Ford F800 with a Telelect Captain II Digger Derrick pole crane. I have removed the boom and I am struggling to get the turntable to come off. The rotation gearbox is also refusing to come off. I have all of the nuts removed from the bolts inside of the turntable (18 total) and the 4 bolts attaching the gearbox are also removed. I cannot see any other fasteners of any kind holding either the turntable or the rotation gearbox. I pulled the inspection cover under the gearbox to expose the drive gear, and I don't see any sort of fastener/locking ring/etc. From what I could find online, the gearbox is supposed to come free fairly easily when the bolts are removed. A buddy of mine said sometimes these turntables have to be clocked in a specific position for them to be lifted off; however, I have applied upward pressure to the turntable with my hoist while manually turning it and it doesn't seem to come free in any position. The front of the turntable will lift exposing the swing bearing but the rear does not lift a single bit. I have tried reaching out to Terex about this and they have been very little help. I understand it's a bit hard to determine exactly what needs to happen for the gearbox and turntable to be removed over a forum, but I am hoping someone with experience in these cranes can chime in with some tips. Thanks.

WJaLRDd.jpg

skyking1

I never took one apart but I have sat in those seats a few times. I'll be following with interest.

Abediesel1

I have one of these, I'll look when I get time and get back to you... Do you have just the boom off and the upper part of the turret is still on? I'm trying to understand where you are in getting it apart.