• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1991 CAT 416 purchase advise

Pripyat

I'm following you guys but I don't need to plant, till, or plow any land. Nor do I wish to attack a full grown tree with a 45hp mahindra with only a FEL. I understand that people who do big jobs do it quickly and effectively with massive equipment. I don't want nor do I feel that I need 100hp for what I'm going to be doing. I would be happy with the 25hp tractor I've been using - I'm going heavier and looking at slightly larger equipment so I can work a little faster than what I was able to do with the 25hp machine with FEL.

You guys may think that I have unrealistic expectations for the 2545 - I don't. I know that it is small, will barely weigh enough to do the largest job I would ask of it (scoop muddy muck from flat land). If I can't find a 2wd backhoe for under 10K to do the heavy tree work to complement the smaller tractor I'll just rent one for a couple days down the road to knock out the heavy stuff. Or borrow one, I've got an uncle with a full size excavator..

AllDodge

I think you will do just fine.
If you want some input from a lot guys with the same size tractor, suggest posting on tractorbynet.com There is a bunch of them over on the site

ttazzman

20180921_130003 (Large).jpg backhoevstree (Small).JPG I am a retired contractor that kept contracting equipment ...and a hobby farmer.....so i have a selection of equipment to choose from IE...a D4h dozer...416c backhoe...a gehl 5635 skid loader....and 3 JD tractors....from 100+ hp to 40hp everything is 4wd cept the dozer

#1 my 40hp tractor is a JD4500..on any given day that is the #1 machine i use all around ...i use forks on the loader..bucket on the loader.....i use it with a old beater 6' brush hog to do light clearing...sometimes i hook it up to a 8' pull behind brush hog to mow the yard (but thats at its pto limits for sure)...fluid filled rear tires and shuttle shift ...fantastic machine

as far as land clearing...tree limb work...fire tending...heavy loader work ...my 2nd go to is the 416c cab thumb (but i wouldnt sell it for less than 25k+)

...not sure where to go from here with experiences and advisement but would be happy to answer questions

i guess my point is ...i thnk you can do your general maintenance work just fine with a 40hp tractor like you propose ........and you probably need a bigger backhoe type machine to do your initial work i just dont think you will get one that is appropriate for under 20k

Last edited: