• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1990 Case 1840 Locking Fuel Cap

custmblt

Hey guys need some help. I have a Case 1840 and it has a fuel cap that look a lot like a radiator cap. I have spent the last couple of days trying to locate a locking cap. Does any one know where I could get one? All the parts stores all claimed they did but after several days running from store to store nothing would fit.

1990 Case 1840

Attachments

• IMG_20170322_180520.jpg
    IMG_20170322_180520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170322_180453.jpg
    IMG_20170322_180453.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

Jeepwalker

That looks about right. It's a simple cap (breathable) like you might find on a car/truck from the 60-70's or a tractor. The cap on mine isn't even THAT fancy (no chrome).

Be aware the tops of most locking fuel caps sold in the US will pretty easily break away with a pliers (by law). But perhaps you can find a foreign made, foreign sold cap that is a lot more robust. Something to check into before you buy anyway. Type "locking tractor fuel cap" into ebay (w/o the quotes) and some foreign caps DO come up.

If nothing else, a locking cap is a good deterant.

Last edited:

custmblt

Thanks for the info! I ordered a foreign one with a key... Can't thank you enough I was about to just cut off the neck and weld a 2" NTP treaded pipe so I could use a more readily available cap, but this just made my day!!

hosspuller

An alternative is attach (bolt or weld) a hinged extension that covers the cap to the existing guard. Lock it with a padlock....

Hobbytime

I have had many friends that went the locking cap way, only to find that when the fuel couldnt be stolen easy they destroyed the cap or just punched a hole in the fuel tank and then f-cked up other stuff on the equipment just to make the point..so be careful what you do, in the end it may cost you alot more than some missing fuel..

custmblt

I like the guard idea. The stealing of the diesel is not the issue its the vandals that think it's funny to put rocks and dirt in the tank.

Jeepwalker

Great, no problem. Say, come back after your cap arrives and let us know what you got and how it works.

Cheers

custmblt

Ok I got the cap and it looks and works great on my Case 1840 Skid steer, see pictures attached. Picked it up from eBay as Jeepwalker has suggested, thanks for all the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170406_132534.jpg
    IMG_20170406_132534.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170406_132406.jpg
    IMG_20170406_132406.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170406_132342.jpg
    IMG_20170406_132342.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 20

Jeepwalker

Thanks for the followup, good feedback. Yeah, same thing for me ...more worried about someone being stupid with sand or dirt in the fuel. My dad had that happen to him on a tractor and required a motor rebuild. Everytime before using the machine at the start of the day, I pull the cap and have a look. A person would have to go more than out of their way to get contaminants in there and NOT show any debris inside the filler neck. I might get one of those caps too.

custmblt

So this morning I fueled up and noticed a little slop in the cap when I went to unlock it. I didn't realize that the cap was adjustable in that the tension tabs are easily manipulated to make for a better fit. Just thought I would share that information with you all. Couldn't be happier with the results and would add that because the cap was coming out of country you should expect longer than normal shipping but worth the wait.