• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 JD 210C 4x4

adame

Hi Everyone,

Looking at a 1988 JD 210C 4x4 with 2100 hours on it. Machine is in very nice shape, has no leaks, and has strong hydraulics, etc.

I'm looking to use it to make some of my land buildable- pop some stumps, rough in a driveway, dig test pits for septic design, install some drainage lines, and attempt to dig a foundation. The foundation is just going into the side of a hill- not a big hole in the ground.

The guy wants $15,000 for it, and won't budge. If anyone has any insight on these machines I'd appreciate it. Any problems? Things to look for? Is it worth $15,000?

Thanks!
Adam

Gmc7210

Occupation
Owner of small excavating/landscaping company
I just bought a 1989 model of this machine with 3600 hours on it as my first backhoe, about four months ago. My machine was well maintained and mechanically sound, and i bought it from a guy for 16000 and he wouldn't budge either. I had been looking for a while for a lighter machine like this and found a few cheaper ones, but they were all beat up with 10000 hours on them. I bought my JD to start my business, and things arent very busy so i've used it about 80 hours or so on my property. I haven't had any problems with it yet using it for the uses like you've mentioned. My machine has a rusty cab, which is typical of this area but i like it. Is the one your looking at an extenda hoe?

Bartlanz

Occupation
Field Service Engineer
Adame, First off, welcome to the forum! Now down to the grits... Not trying to rain on your parade, but there are alot of machines around, REALLY nice machines in our area (im in NH too) for around 15k on craigslist. I know of at least two CAT's (one 416 and one 426 both 4x4) on there rite now for under 15k. Also there tends to be a fair number of nice Case's around here.

I have an 88 Case 580K if you want to try your hand at running it, shoot me a PM.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
Is it worth $15,000?

Hi Adam - to you, the answer may certainly be yes. To others that just shop price and end up buying a newer, but higher-hour pig-in-a-blanket, they may see value in that. To ME, I'd sooner pay a little more for a recognized brand name with lower (verifiable) hours, and enjoy trouble-free hours for some time to come. The alternative is to buy something that you constantly either have to wrench or at least always have a "to-do-when-I-get-time-&-$$$-list" in your head.

Here's some positives on your machine:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons...non_current_pdfs/noncurrent_backhoes/210C.pdf

-It is older, but the controls are mostly mechanical - few electrical gremlins to chase.
-It has the 4239 Deere engine - another member here referred to that engine as being reliable: an anvil that burns diesel fuel.
-There ain't no stinkin' turbo on that machine. Use a '90s turbo machine in stop/start/shuttle/loader work, and you'll love to go back to a high torque rise JD non-turbo engine. The turbo lag makes those others dogs.
-The JD has a smaller cab. Some of the newer machines can host a square dance in the cab, but try to see something out of them.
-It has a planetary rear end with wet brakes

I think it is a fair deal to at least look further into.

John