• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 Case 580 super E anyone??

mikeshoe

Occupation
Electrician
In my quest to find the ideal backyard backhoe i came across this 580 super e, 4x4 for $12,000. Its straight stick and reg loader bucket, the typical rusty, enclosed cab and 4X4, unknown hours, owner claims all maintenance done with recent oil and coolant changes, good tires and seems to run well, no excessive smoke or leaks, looks like all hyraulic tubing is recent, no seal leaks. The owner dug out a tree stump to demonstrate the abilities.

I'm wondering what the consensus is regarding durability of this model and the right price for it given the info i have. The owner has had it for 10 years and stored it inside in winter.

Underneath looks less rusty then a 96 super L i looked at recently. That one we decided to pass on. owner wants 21k but its rusty underneath with unknown hours. It was tight when a fellow experienced forum member evaluated it but we agreed it's only worth 15k on the high side given the unknown history and rust issues.

This 86 is more affordable. What price range would this sell for, from bad to worse? Thanks!!!:)

mikeshoe

Occupation
Electrician
This is interesting...below is an excerpt from another forum describing what i witnessed while the owner was demonstrating the stump dig for me. It kinda looked to me like it was weaker than expected. It made the same noise, but, then again, when the bucket hooked a big enough obstacle the entire machine got dragged thru the muck. so maybe it's as strong as typical any super e.

Here's the excerpt. Not much help for this poor poster from the other forum BTW...;)

I have a case 4wd 580 super e. It was digging fine until recently. If I'm digging around a tree with the backhoe and encounter a 2 inch diameter root the boom stops and I hear hissing in the hydraulic tank like it's by passing. Before the boom would rip entire stumps out, now it can bareley pull the machine back. The front bucket still seems normal. I changed the hydrolic oil filter in the engine compartment and checked the oil. It still does it. i don't want to buy a new hyd. pump if i don't have to. Is there anything I can do or adjust or am I missing a filter somewhere?

Anyone know about these symptoms?

ctkiteboarding

hey mike ,, i started with a 86 super E with a 4/1 and extenda hoe great machine for me , made tons of $$$ with it ,, i did make a mistake and didnt service the front end and blew it up roading it, completely my fault and cost me 8k to repair, i traded it in on my super L that i own now dealer gave me 14k toward the 40k i needed,
id get it looked at very closely by a good shop before droping 12k ,if its solid the money spent to have it cked out will be well spent if its hurt and it sounds like it is you can spent 6/7 k very quickly so move slow on this one,

also i wouldnt even consider a hoe without the ext stick and a 4/1 just to much that can be done with theses options, hell every bucket i own is 4/1 and im looking for a compact wheel loader now that will have to have a 4/1 for me to spend my $$ on good luck

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
buy that machine now i have one run it everyday no problem

diggerdave1958

Mike, I agree with cat980 i would buy that machine 12k sounds like a fair price on a 1986 580SE with 4x4. have you checked the 4x4 ?? i have put up a pic of my 1986 580SE 4x4 with ent-hoe and i paid more than 12K for it a few years ago.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
The machine itself is probably the most desirable of the older Case backhoes. The extent of the rust is one thing that would make it less of a bargain. Check out the inner fenders under the upholstery and the bottom of the doors.

Not having an extendahoe is a bit unusual and will drop the value by $500. The 4x4 option would add at least $2000 or more to the value. It sounds like a very good buy to me. Phil:)

Last edited:

mikeshoe

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks guys!!...the e has a loyal fan base!

Phil: I saw lots of rust at the bottom doors and inner fenders, just as you described. but underneath looked much better than a '96 L 4x4, extenda, erops i was interested in for 21k.

One ? re 4x4, when i was watching him use it he was backing up to a stump in this very soupy, mucky black forest loam we have here in New England and i saw the rear tire(hoe side) spin as he was backing up. I questioned it and he said he didn't have it in 4x4. he said to check it all you have to do is raise the machine off its wheels and drive in 4x4 to see if they all spin. But, that's unloaded. is the 4x4 mechanical lockup or viscous?

Check this out guys: He 'guarantees' it as well as the tranny, engine and pump for 60 days. I live right down the street from him and he said he doesn't want to sell something to someone if they will have problems. he's well off so i know he can afford it ;). He says he wants a miniexcavator, but, he'll just keep it, not desperate to sell if it doesn't bring 12k. i'm thinking of offering 10k.. he has service manuals and the phone number of previous owner. only 2 owners total according to this one.

i'll try calling the number during business hours.

i have some pics...how do i upload?

Mike

mikeshoe

Occupation
Electrician
hey mike ,, i started with a 86 super E with a 4/1 and extenda hoe great machine for me , made tons of $$$ with it ,, i did make a mistake and didnt service the front end and blew it up roading it, completely my fault and cost me 8k to repair, i traded it in on my super L that i own now dealer gave me 14k toward the 40k i needed,
id get it looked at very closely by a good shop before droping 12k ,if its solid the money spent to have it cked out will be well spent if its hurt and it sounds like it is you can spent 6/7 k very quickly so move slow on this one,

also i wouldnt even consider a hoe without the ext stick and a 4/1 just to much that can be done with theses options, hell every bucket i own is 4/1 and im looking for a compact wheel loader now that will have to have a 4/1 for me to spend my $$ on good luck

CTkite: thanks for the caveat...when are you going to get reasonable and sell me your machine?:D

rockdog

Buy it. That sounds like a good deal for a 4x4 super E. If he's willing to tear out stumps to demo it for you, I don't think he has anything to hide.
The hydraulics are going to bypass no matter what when they get to relief bypass pressure. I've dug stumps out and it's pretty amassing how tough a two inch root can be.;)

turbotech

Watch out if that 4wd 580SE is in northern CT and has "an original 1400 hours" on it. I got suckered into driving hours and hours out there to find in had 480 hrs on the clock. The entire hoe was wiped out and the hoe section very loose from the tractor itself. The 4wd that "was working last week" had broken parts. King pins wiped out.
With the wear on the hoe it looked like the clock had rolled over 10K hrs to 480 hrs. Owner said the clock worked, but it never worked while he did the stump digging demo.
He also claimed he only ran the machine for 50 hrs in 10 yrs, but when he got on it he was smooth as could be with little hoe wobble. I had an operator get on the machine a shake the hoe a little. It literally flopped all around including where it ties to the tractor.
Front end 4wd was worn out. It needed over 4k in repairs.

turbotech

Thanks guys!!...the e has a loyal fan base!

Phil: I saw lots of rust at the bottom doors and inner fenders, just as you described. but underneath looked much better than a '96 L 4x4, extenda, erops i was interested in for 21k.

One ? re 4x4, when i was watching him use it he was backing up to a stump in this very soupy, mucky black forest loam we have here in New England and i saw the rear tire(hoe side) spin as he was backing up. I questioned it and he said he didn't have it in 4x4. he said to check it all you have to do is raise the machine off its wheels and drive in 4x4 to see if they all spin. But, that's unloaded. is the 4x4 mechanical lockup or viscous?

Check this out guys: He 'guarantees' it as well as the tranny, engine and pump for 60 days. I live right down the street from him and he said he doesn't want to sell something to someone if they will have problems. he's well off so i know he can afford it ;). He says he wants a miniexcavator, but, he'll just keep it, not desperate to sell if it doesn't bring 12k. i'm thinking of offering 10k.. he has service manuals and the phone number of previous owner. only 2 owners total according to this one.

i'll try calling the number during business hours.

i have some pics...how do i upload?

Mike

Sounds like the same machine. The 4wd linkage was broken. Has it been fixed. Check the front end for wear.
The D-side door was machined and re-welded with porous welds.
There are a lot of machines out there right now. Look that machine over real good and try it before you buy. Not saying it is a good deal or a bad deal. Just look it over real good.

ctkiteboarding

CTkite: thanks for the caveat...when are you going to get reasonable and sell me your machine?:D
lol im going to keep this backhoe, the 25k that i might get for it just isnt worth not having it when i need it,,,

sounds like some others have seen this machine your looking at,, id still get it looked at before the cash , if he is willing to give you 60 day money back why not get it to f+w for a once over and a service if you buy it it will be serviced and ready to go and if it has any major problems you will save your self major $$ and headaches

rockdog

Watch out if that 4wd 580SE is in northern CT and has "an original 1400 hours" on it. I got suckered into driving hours and hours out there to find in had 480 hrs on the clock. The entire hoe was wiped out and the hoe section very loose from the tractor itself. The 4wd that "was working last week" had broken parts. King pins wiped out.
With the wear on the hoe it looked like the clock had rolled over 10K hrs to 480 hrs. Owner said the clock worked, but it never worked while he did the stump digging demo.
He also claimed he only ran the machine for 50 hrs in 10 yrs, but when he got on it he was smooth as could be with little hoe wobble. I had an operator get on the machine a shake the hoe a little. It literally flopped all around including where it ties to the tractor.
Front end 4wd was worn out. It needed over 4k in repairs.
Wow:pointhead, I take it back... Don't buy it!

turbotech

Please don't take what I wrote the wrong way. I am not saying it is a good deal or bad deal. I do recommend taking someone with you that is an operator & mechanic to run the machine and show you what is worn and/or needs repair. You may find the asking price + repair price is what you are looking for.

The whole "1400 hour" thing with a worn front end and wiped out hoe turned me off. Not to mention the clock reading 400+ hours. When the seller even said it was severely worn for the hours only at the end when we were about to leave. The guy runs equipment and just bushed one of his machines so obviously he knew that at 1400 hrs it the 580SE wouldn't be that worn. It just left me with a bad impression.

mikeshoe

Occupation
Electrician
turbotech - i understand completely what you're saying. Thank you for looking out for another forum member!

I had a funny feeling about this seller, anyway. Your experience just reinforced the fact he is absolutely not trustworthy and thus is not worthy of my time or money. If he had the nerve to concoct those incredible stories, he's lying about most anything else, just to get a few more dollars in his pocket. Well, he'll be waiting longer for those dollars now.

60 day warranty, can you believe that?!?!?

Last edited:

turbotech

It is a decent machine, just not worth his asking price compared to other machines out there. Taking off the entire hoe portion and fixing it is going to cost some bucks. A few more bucks in front end parts. More in the hoe being welded and re-bushed. Misc. hoses here and there. Not all were new like he said.
To fix it to make it somewhat decent we figured another 4K. If you did it all yourself it would be less.