• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 LTL9000

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Does anyone know the part# or a source for the C.V. joint at the base of the steering column shaft?

I believe all L series have this same joint but not having any luck finding one.

Thanks for any info,

Greg

GregsHD

Occupation
Yeah it's a true CV joint, if it was a standard u-joint like most other trucks it would be no big deal.
I ended up cleaning it up, greasing it and getting a CV boot for a ATV to fit, it has minor play in it. I also tightened the steering column bearings and replaced u-joints in steering shaft. That took out tons of play. Inspection report just said "it looks loose" not a safety concern in my books. It passed inspection so it's good for another 6 months haha! Thanks

GregsHD

Occupation
Maybe time to upgrade!!

Hah! I keep telling this rancher that exact thing, he's owned the truck since new, used to be a hwy tractor hauling cattle, must have had too many good memories in the sleeper when he was younger!

It's had dump truck duty past 15 years, I have to say these old Fords are built tough! Just a shame parts are so hard to come by..