• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 DS4 Ditch Witch Seized Engine

907ludwig

I have recently been given a 1985 ditch witch with a seized engine. It is my understanding it has been sitting outside in the elements (I live in Alaska) for at least 10 years. I am looking for info on how to release the engine (tried breaker bar) as well as which direction to turn the engine. Is it still lefty loosy or should it be turned to the right? We live off grid so I am hoping for a simpler solution than have to go through a heavy equipment mechanic. Any info is appreciated.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Buddy.. if you don't know what steps to take inorder to break an engine free.. or which way to turn it..
my advise would be TO GO THRU a mechanic..
Back to the question at hand.. Remove the injectors that are located in the head.. be careful of the tips/ends.
add penetrating oil to each cylinder, a mixture of acetone & transmission oil seems to work the best.. Straight transmission oil will work but takes longer..
Let sit for a few days & use your breaker bar to rotate the engine in either direction to break it free..
Keep in mind.. you can do more damage if to much force is used to break it free..
Repeat as necessary until it frees up.
Some engine will never free up if the metal is gaulded.. metal to metal fused together.
OH.. & MAKE SURE its in neutral & all hydro's are inop.. cuz you'll NEVER move an engine, fighting a transmission & hydro's..
Good luck.

907ludwig

Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined since my dad didn't see the need to teach his daughter this. However, I appreciate the advise you provided and will do more research into info to impress my husband and maybe even find the answer to the question of what works best.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I just told you what works BEST.. automatic transmission fluid & acetone..50/50 mix.. research THAT..
You HAVE TO gain access to the pistons inorder to have ANY HOPE of freeing a stuck/rusted engine..
& THE EASIEST WAY that is accomplished is thru the injector holes, once you remove them.. {or glow plug holes, if so equipped}... SOAK IT down & wait..
You should find out which engine you have, weather its a Cat or a Lister.. THEN research HOW to remove injectors..
Good luck..

Delmer

Hey Pumpguy, where do you find the injectors on a V4 Wisconsin??? :D

mostly kidding, but a 85 ditch witch means nothing to me, an engine model and pictures would make more sense to more people. Basically an engine can seize because it broke and locked up, or because water got into the cylinders and rusted them up, neither one is fixable by "breaking them free". Occasionally an engine will get lightly rusted enough that it's stuck and can be freed and run reasonably, but that's the exception.