• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1984 jd 640 transmission problem

Branson1822

OK this is my first post here so any help would be appreciated. I have a 1984 John Deere 640 and ran perfect no problems shifted fine. Everything was fine finished The job went back a couple weeks later to get the skidder to move to the next job and I have no gears, lost all the gears, it jerks when you put it in gear but no gears i check the filter check the screen checked the fuild level but still nothing. Thanks again for any help.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Branson;)!

Is the clutch disconnect engaged? That would be the lever under your main clutch pedal, IIRC.

Branson1822

Ok thanks I’ll take a look I just thought it’s weird that is was fine and then all the gears went

Branson1822

thank you I’m assuming where it says just for example 1st forward and then it got an X c one and XB one and an XC3 check all three of them separately while in first gear I’m assuming that’s what I’m supposed to do

Branson1822

Also, do you know what the pressures are supposed to be? Thanks again for your help

Branson1822

OK, so do I check the two I have circled for pressure or I think there’s four of them on the bottom of it. I’m just getting around to checking.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.jpeg
    IMG_4021.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Diesel Dave

Not sure if you are able to physically reach the transmission clutch valve.
There is a test port marked “ CLUTCH “. The port is regulated pressure after the transmission pump. 175-185 psi.…
1708982620079.jpeg

Branson1822

Last question and I won’t bug you no more shift valve position up down What does that exactly mean? Sorry the transmission thing new to me.

Diesel Dave

Last question and I won’t bug you no more shift valve position up down What does that exactly mean? Sorry the transmission thing new to me.
The chart is showing the various shift valve position combinations to direct the pressure oil to the required clutch and or brake packs for the selected gear…
Interested to see the results of the pressure tests.

Branson1822

Yea me to I’ll let you know tomorrow. I didn’t have the right fitting for my gauge