• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1984 case backhoe super e

tbryyan69

I need some help from someone who has or knows someone who has a 1984 case 580 super E backhoe ... I just bought this machine and the engine was rebuilt but was not fully put back together in the machine... I have what I think to be most of the parts... But it sure would be nice if someone could take a few pictures of there engine compartment.... both sides and front so that I could use as a template.. to get this back together...

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
I have a 580SE and a few pictures but I am not sure what you really need.
Is the main engine assembled and mounted so that you need just the parts or is the engine itself what you need?
Radiator_640-480_012.jpg
Forum_12-4-12.jpg
If you could advise some specific area I might be able to make a photo to help.

tbryyan69

pictures

I have a 580SE and a few pictures but I am not sure what you really need.
Is the main engine assembled and mounted so that you need just the parts or is the engine itself what you need?
View attachment 97325
View attachment 97326
If you could advise some specific area I might be able to make a photo to help.

That is about what mine looks like as well... I need pictures of both sides of the motor for the fuel injection pump area, fuel filter area, alternator area, hyd pump area.. basically I have a motor in and just need to asemble all the exterior parts..
I would greatly appreciate any help you can give... That would be awesome...

tbryyan69

580 se pictures

That is about what mine looks like as well... I need pictures of both sides of the motor for the fuel injection pump area, fuel filter area, alternator area, hyd pump area.. basically I have a motor in and just need to asemble all the exterior parts..
I would greatly appreciate any help you can give... That would be awesome...

really interested in pictures for the oil sending unit, injection pump switch, starter, air cleaner sending unit on intake.. just running into wiring harness issues after today..

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Forum_12-6-12.jpg
I can't seem to find any pictures on my computer that seem all that helpful.
If you can get to the Case parts pages the electrical pages will help identify where the wires go.
Was you able to find the parts pages?
You need to search by model and type in "580SE", it will find only one option to click on.
Then down in the tree, click on Electrical System. Pages 106 or 108 show some of this names "Wiring Harness" or something like this.
If you purchase a good technical manual it will show the actual wiring but these from the parts may be all you need.
The injector pump has a 12VDC solenoid behind it that becomes hot when the switch is turned on. I think this is a white/red wire.
Mine has one wire unused down below the fuel filters. I think this is for the cold start system that my machine does not have.

Last edited:

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
really interested in pictures for the oil sending unit, injection pump switch, starter, air cleaner sending unit on intake.. just running into wiring harness issues after today..

See if this makes sense with what you are looking at. (Ie.."green/white" is a green wire with a white strip)
Engine Oil Pressure Switch: Yellow (This opens as oil pressure rises)
Fuel Shutoff Solenoid: Light green/white wire connected to a white/red wire. (With the switch on you should have 12V on this wire)
Air Filter Flow switch: Yellow/White. (Black wire goes to ground) Round deal located above the fuel injector pump.

Mine does not have an variable oil sending unit except underneath on the right side of the shuttle.
This is a yellow/red wire on mine. The oil temp gauge is for the transmission, NOT the oil in the engine.

I think the wire going to the starter solenoid was originally white.

This may be confusing, especially if you looked closely at my pictures, because over the years wires get replaced with non original colors.

Maybe this helps...

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
I need some help from someone who has or knows someone who has a 1984 case 580 super E backhoe ... I just bought this machine and the engine was rebuilt but was not fully put back together in the machine... I have what I think to be most of the parts... But it sure would be nice if someone could take a few pictures of there engine compartment.... both sides and front so that I could use as a template.. to get this back together...
I am michael I live in franklinton . I know ur pist is old yet ill help you if I can. 8 sold a 580 b. My 580 se has a floor burron under the brakes im curious about. Any idea.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Actually, I just figured it out.
It is floor button, r is right next to t, and pist is post. Lol
Im smert. Lol
The floor button has been removed from mine but it’s another clutch cut out switch like on the loader control at the top.
Merry Christmas.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
I am michael I live in franklinton . I know ur pist is old yet ill help you if I can. 8 sold a 580 b. My 580 se has a floor burron under the brakes im curious about. Any idea.
Guys im sorry I have fat fingers. Anyhow. The floor burron i was talking about was a floor button under the brake pedals. I know believe it's as the button on the front bucket lever controller. A clutch disconnect. Mine works just wasnt sure what that was. Sorry for the misprint blame it on old age .lol. I bought this machine . Replaced all the pouring seals on the backhoe. Mt extend a boom as well however it slides down over time as machine sits so im thinking control valve could I be correct. I purchased a 5000 psi gauge to check my pressures with. Whats ur thoughts on that

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Actually, I just figured it out.
It is floor button, r is right next to t, and pist is post. Lol
Im smert. Lol
The floor button has been removed from mine but it’s another clutch cut out switch like on the loader control at the top.
Merry Christmas.
Thank you. I need to read what I type. Yes you are smart.

Welder Dave

If you're extendahoe creeps down it could be cylinder seals in the extendahoe cylinder. That's the most common reason for cylinders to creep.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
What shape were the seals in the extend a hoe in when you replaced them and how much water is in your hydraulic fluid?

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Unless it affects operations, I have come to the conclusion that a little dropping of a stabilizer or bucket isn’t a priority for me, at the moment.
I just rebuilt my stabilizer cylinders and neither one were dropping but now one drops a little every day.
I’m hoping it stops after a while as I certainly don’t want to mess with the valve bank in the winter.