• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1980 GMC Brigadier

DeereJohn

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1980 brigadier dump, with a 6-71 Detroit in it. Truck runs fantastic, starts instantly when it's cold and likes to be reved.

My issue is with the low air warning. I can't find the switch that triggers the buzzer. I found one switch by the drivers left foot that controls the brake lights. Any idea where it may be located? Ultimately I think I have a grounding issue with whatever it's mounted to.

This is my first go around with a CDL truck, thanks in advance

Truck Shop

Rob Zucker owned one of those and he will probably be on here later this evening, I'm sure he can tell you where that air switch is located.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Check up on the firewall around the rear side of the brake valve, They liked to use that area as an air manifold. I never had to look for the low air switch, but I imagine it's up there.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Rob Zucker owned one of those and he will probably be on here later this evening, I'm sure he can tell you where that air switch is located.

Truck Shop

Actually mine was a '78 9500 with the 8V71 but pretty much the same... I think.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you can find the buzzer follow wires to air switch. Or if it has a low air light in dash follow wires from there. I'd guess behind the dash on/around firewall on a manifold as mentioned above.

Junkyard

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
1976 Chevy here. In no way similar. Mine is between the compressor, and firewall. In cold weather it is critical to drain all three tanks on the truck each use, or it screams up a storm. My gauge has two needles. Both have to be over 100 LBS to silence the alarm.

Good news is with a Detroit you will soon have hearing damage sufficient to not hear the alarm.

Willie

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I've always thought the wigwag was a better low air warning device then the buzzers, especially when the driver is deaf or wearing hearing protection... Can't miss it!