• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1976 F-250 dump

billyboybill

Dumb question I'm sure but I'm new to this stuff, so I bought a 1976 f250 dumper, great ol truck, only problem I'm having is the hydraulic is weak and slow. I went to check the fluid level and it doesn't have a reservoir, I traces the lines back and they go straight to the pto. My questions are, how do I check/change/ add oil? Do I need a reservoir? Thanks

Tatersmt

Dumb question I'm sure but I'm new to this stuff, so I bought a 1976 f250 dumper, great ol truck, only problem I'm having is the hydraulic is weak and slow. I went to check the fluid level and it doesn't have a reservoir, I traced the lines back and they go straight to the pto. My questions are, how do I check/change/ add oil? Do I need a reservoir? Thanks

I have a 1970’s Dodge dump truck and it has a single hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder is also the reservoir for the hydraulic oil.

JaredV

The reservoir might be built around the cylinder if it's something like 6 inches in diameter. Is there a plug/cap/vent somewhere on the top side of the cylinder?

JaredV

I think I might see a plug in the top, looks like a bolt. I'm gonna have to prop this thing up good so I can get under her lol
That's probably it. The trick to filling it is not to fill it too full because you can't see the level and you're adding when the oil is at its lowest point. I just add a half quart at a time until the bed goes all the way up, then add a little more. If you get too much, it'll just push out the excess.