• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1974 JD 310-B Still alive

RobNH

When the dipperstick on my old backhoe snapped off right below the gussett I thought I'd seen the end of it's life. I had know idea a break such as this could be repaired. I was quite happy when I found a local welder who took on the job and did a great repair:). If anyone is in the Lake Sunapee NH area and needs a good welder I would certainly recommend Merrimack County Customs. I thought I'd share a few pictures. :)

Attachments

• Backhoe repair 177.jpg
    Backhoe repair 177.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Backhoe repair 216.jpg
    Backhoe repair 216.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Backhoe repair 229.jpg
    Backhoe repair 229.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Backhoe repair 236.jpg
    Backhoe repair 236.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Backhoe repair 244.jpg
    Backhoe repair 244.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 101

Delmer

No reason at all not to weld that back up. Not hard to make it as strong as new. For future reference, the original design was faulty with the weld on the end of the curved plate, that wouldn't be done these days. You can see from the rust staining in the first pic that that weld or near it has been cracked for years. Keep an eye for that kind of rust streaking. Of course the streaking could have been partly from the surface rust running down the paint too, but I bet it was mostly from the rust powder that crack was releasing as it moved.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
My brother used to own Merrimack Sheet Metal in Concord I think,maybe Manchester,it has been a long time since I was up there.He has since retired and sold his shop but he did a lot of work in the area over the years.Glad you got it fixed.Ron G