• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1972 580b ck hydraulic problems

tonka2

while attempting to drop my left outrigger , it started to go down very slowly as if in a bind and would not come back up. right outrigger also stopped working. I dropped loader and bucket to ground, then got off hoe to look for leaks, no leaks. Next I checked Hyd. fluid , about a gallon and a half low. Added fluid and got back on hoe and started it, no hydraulics working on backhoe or loader and I don't here the hyd. pump trying to work. This is the first problem I have had with this machine. it is still fairly new to me, where should I start?

lantraxco

Sounds like you lost the coupling between the engine front pulley and the hydraulic pump, should be a four bolt deal with rubber bushings and a splined shaft and coupler with a snap ring on the splined shaft. If you're lucky the snap ring broke and alll you need to do is put a new snap ring on and slip the shaft back into place. Should be behind the grill down low.

pump_and_coupler.jpg

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
if you are having the same problem as i am, you will be replacing the hydro pump.

tonka2

72 580b ck hydraulic problem

Sounds like you lost the coupling between the engine front pulley and the hydraulic pump, should be a four bolt deal with rubber bushings and a splined shaft and coupler with a snap ring on the splined shaft. If you're lucky the snap ring broke and alll you need to do is put a new snap ring on and slip the shaft back into place. Should be behind the grill down low.

View attachment 120281

IAN, Thank you for your reply, you were pretty much right on the money. The only thing that's still good is the snap ring. I've found everything I need for repair on the Internet except for the small splined shaft, does anyone know where I should look. Thank you again, Happy fathers day to all.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just sayin', you're a wizard at that, you've pulled a rabbit out of your hat more than once for me. :notworthy

lantraxco

Well thanks, it's mostly practice and near obsessive stubborn determination, lol.

On the other hand, if I needed to work on a newer Bobcat for one example, you would be my first call for advice!

By the way, what I can't figure out is it seems like every part I find for you is within walking distance of your shop?????

:idontgetit

Last edited:

tonka2

72 580b ck hydraulic problems

Iantraxco ,I`ve got my parts ordered thanks to you, now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Going to Alaska fishing this week, I`m sure it will help pass the time.:)