• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1968 Ford 4500 TLB Power Steering Question...

Indiana_Hoe

Hi, I have a 68 4500 TLB. Its "new to me" when I got it i was told that the power steering didnt work and that it maybe needed fluid. I have the integrated hydraulic pump with no reservoir. At first it didnt work at all but i was able to muscle it around the yard. Decided to look into it today and got all the gunk cleaned out from around it and got it to turn right. Not left. When the drag bar is moved (Right hand Turn) it pushes it forward which moves the linkage backwards and pulls out on the actuator. This makes it turn right. I understand everything up until now... When you turn left it wants to push the actuator (on the hydraulic PS pump) in....its already retracted and " bottomed out" from where i turned right and stopped.... Where is it supposed to go to make the pump operate the other way??? How does it make it go the other way when the actuator is already all the way in... basically you have to muscle the assembly..

mitch504

Ok, first, let's get our terminology and basic system straight; It makes it a lot easier when we are talking the same language.

Your hydraulic steering pump is on the left front of the engine. It is bolted to the back of the timing cover and is gear driven. It draws oil from the main hyd. tank through the smallest suction line. There is a screen on the end of this line inside the tank. It is common for this screen to be clogged. There is a relief valve on the pump that determines the pressure of the pump output, and thus the strength of the power steering.

The pump sends oil under pressure to the integrated cylinder/control valve under the oil tank on the steering linkage, (what you are calling a pump). The pressurized oil goes to the control valve on top of the cylinder, which is moved by the linkage to direct the oil to either end of the cylinder to make the wheels turn. The oil is returned to the tank through a return line.

To answer your question: The control valve should be centered anytime you are not turning the steering wheel. It sounds like your first problem may be that the linkage to the valve needs to be adjusted.

unclematt

4500 power steering lines

I removed my power steering cylinder and can not remember what port is the supply line.

Ok, first, let's get our terminology and basic system straight; It makes it a lot easier when we are talking the same language.

Your hydraulic steering pump is on the left front of the engine. It is bolted to the back of the timing cover and is gear driven. It draws oil from the main hyd. tank through the smallest suction line. There is a screen on the end of this line inside the tank. It is common for this screen to be clogged. There is a relief valve on the pump that determines the pressure of the pump output, and thus the strength of the power steering.

The pump sends oil under pressure to the integrated cylinder/control valve under the oil tank on the steering linkage, (what you are calling a pump). The pressurized oil goes to the control valve on top of the cylinder, which is moved by the linkage to direct the oil to either end of the cylinder to make the wheels turn. The oil is returned to the tank through a return line.

To answer your question: The control valve should be centered anytime you are not turning the steering wheel. It sounds like your first problem may be that the linkage to the valve needs to be adjusted.

workshoprat92

I dont know if the 68 model is the same as my 73 but mine has its own oil res for the steering on the pump. There is a little cap and ya fill it there on the pump. I would think there should be a way to do a pressure test to see if your pump is putting out proper pressure.