• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1955 D6 9U Dozer

Bakobobby

I have a 1955 D6 9U Dozer that is in very good condition, it has 1792 hrs on it, cab, cab heater, rear hydraulic’s, new 24volt alt, electric starter on the pony motor & on the Diesel Engine. I am thinking about selling it & don’t know how much to ask for it? Can anyone help me with this situation??
Much appreciate any help
Bob

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A photo would be good, and also the condition of the undercarriage (tracks), plus whether it has any attached equipment such as blade, winch, or ripper - or whether it is just a plain agricultural drawbar tractor.

I've never heard of electric start pony motor, plus electric start on main engine?? When you have electric start on the main engine, you don't need a pony motor.

The 1792 hrs can't be original, surely? The tractor is nearly 70 years old, that runs out to just over 25 hrs a year. No-one buys tractors to run them 25 hours a year for 70 years.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I have a 1955 D6 9U Dozer that is in very good condition, it has 1792 hrs on it, cab, cab heater, rear hydraulic’s, new 24volt alt, electric starter on the pony motor & on the Diesel Engine. I am thinking about selling it & don’t know how much to ask for it? Can anyone help me with this situation??
Much appreciate any help
Bob
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Bakobobby

A photo would be good, and also the condition of the undercarriage (tracks), plus whether it has any attached equipment such as blade, winch, or ripper - or whether it is just a plain agricultural drawbar tractor.

I've never heard of electric start pony motor, plus electric start on main engine?? When you have electric start on the main engine, you don't need a pony motor.

The 1792 hrs can't be original, surely? The tractor is nearly 70 years old, that runs out to just over 25 hrs a year. No-one buys tractors to run them 25 hours a year for 70 years.
Thanks

Bakobobby

Tk u for the reply, I will put pictures of the old girl on the form in the near future!
I may be reading the hr meter wrong? The hr meter has 5 digets & I thought the far right number was 10ths? with that in mind the 5 digits are 17928!
But now I have a larger issue! It’s been setting last 2 years & I went out to start it but can’t get her going now!!
I put new fuel filters into it & cleaned all fuel lines & the fuel flows good up to & through the filter housing & the bleeders on the injector pump! But no pressure going up to the injector’s?
Any suggestions?
A couple of other things I found during the trouble shooting process are:
1. I am getting very low fuel psi??
2. The fuel pump cam housing is empty, should the housing have an oil level?
If so does anyone know what oil goes into it??
Thank you in advance!!!
Bakobobby

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Tk u for the reply, I will put pictures of the old girl on the form in the near future!
I may be reading the hr meter wrong? The hr meter has 5 digets & I thought the far right number was 10ths? with that in mind the 5 digits are 17928!
But now I have a larger issue! It’s been setting last 2 years & I went out to start it but can’t get her going now!!
I put new fuel filters into it & cleaned all fuel lines & the fuel flows good up to & through the filter housing & the bleeders on the injector pump! But no pressure going up to the injector’s?
Any suggestions?
A couple of other things I found during the trouble shooting process are:
1. I am getting very low fuel psi??
2. The fuel pump cam housing is empty, should the housing have an oil level?
If so does anyone know what oil goes into it??
Thank you in advance!!!
Bakobobby
Fuel rack is stuck, take the cover off the injection pump housing, see if the rack moves, spray some penetrating oil, lube everything. Pump housing should have oil to the level of fill plug, engine oil is used

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
No tenths on Cat service meters, the figures are total hours run at full load RPM, as the meter is geared to the engine speed.
17,928 service meter hrs sounds more like the correct total. These old tractors have all done a huge amount of hours. I've seen Cats with 22,000 hrs after just 5 years from new.

Bakobobby

Thank you OZDozer that helps me a bunch!! I will work on getting her going and then send some pictures!!

BC Placer gold

Fuel rack is stuck, take the cover off the injection pump housing, see if the rack moves, spray some penetrating oil, lube everything. Pump housing should have oil to the level of fill plug, engine oil is used
We freed up a stuck rack by doing exactly as bccat described above. (On a small 4 cylinder engine for our boat, but same principal).

This was after a brief run away event…I was ready with a heavy sheet of urethane for covering the air intake.

Had to clean governor weights/housing really well as they were seized up with thick ‘tar-like’ oil residue. Engine was a new take out but had been sitting for a number of years.

Bakobobby

Hi All
I pulled rack covers off the D6 & the rack will not move back & forth to operate the injectors! I can rock the rack bar back & forth a bit so it’s not seized up! But will not go back & forth to move the injectors!
when moving the throttle the rack does not move either, I am not sure how much pressure to use so looking for advise! I also pulled the cam cover & cam looks ok but there was no oil in that space? It all looks clean in these spaces & no metal shavings were found anywhere! Is there any advice on what to check next??
Thanks again in advance!!

bccat

Occupation
Hi All
I pulled rack covers off the D6 & the rack will not move back & forth to operate the injectors! I can rock the rack bar back & forth a bit so it’s not seized up! But will not go back & forth to move the injectors!
when moving the throttle the rack does not move either, I am not sure how much pressure to use so looking for advise! I also pulled the cam cover & cam looks ok but there was no oil in that space? It all looks clean in these spaces & no metal shavings were found anywhere! Is there any advice on what to check next??
Thanks again in advance!!
A lite tap on the Individual pump gears should do the trick, the plunger’s can get stuck in the barrel of the pump unit by varnish from fuel . Are the plungers moving up & down when turning the engine over. Be careful of moving parts.

Bakobobby

Ok Tks I give the slight tap a whirl in the morning! The batteries are charging tonight so I will check if the plungers are moving while cranking tomorrow as well!!
Thanks for staying with me!!
Bob

bccat

Occupation
Ok Tks I give the slight tap a whirl in the morning! The batteries are charging tonight so I will check if the plungers are moving while cranking tomorrow as well!!
Thanks for staying with me!!
Bob
No worries, I am 72, So I am not that good anymore at explaining things ,it’s been 20 yrs since I have worked on the old Cat’s. Do you have any manuals for your D6?

BC Placer gold

Don’t have any experience on the Cats, but very gentle tapping worked in our case. I also checked all the plungers (keeping everything really clean) but they were clean & moving freely….same for fuel pump. All cam lobes looked perfect as well.

Clean engine oil into housing and no more issues….probably got lucky!

Bakobobby

Hey all I found 3 of the 6 injector plungers stuck! I sprayed them with penetrating oil & tapped them free using a small hammer & a wooden dowel! She fired up & runs great! Thank you much for all the advice, wisdom & experience!!
I don’t think I would’ve got her without your help!!

BC Placer gold

Hey all I found 3 of the 6 injector plungers stuck! I sprayed them with penetrating oil & tapped them free using a small hammer & a wooden dowel! She fired up & runs great! Thank you much for all the advice, wisdom & experience!!
I don’t think I would’ve got her without your help!!
Great news!