• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c trouble starting

Bberk

It will intermittently refuse to start . Basically after its running the machine will not start again after its shut off and I have to wait anywhere from 15 mins to an hour for it to start again.

It seems like it does this after going up or down a slope and turning it off. But this could just be a coincidence.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When you say it refuses to start, is it cranking over but just not starting?

Where I worked we had an 1845 C that would at random times not restart after working, would crank right over fine but no start. Back when it first started acting up I had talked to the local fuel injection shop and was told there was some kind of "up-date" John Deere had for one of their engines that used the same type of injector pump. He also said to try opening the fuel drain on the secondary fuel filter and try it. This worked fine, stated right up. As ours only did it a few times a year we never bothered pulling pump to have the up-date and it has been like that for many years. The way ours is used it usually runs till operator is done with it for the day so it is seldom restated after a brief shut down.

Last edited:

Bberk

Yup exactly. Its cranking over It just refusing to start. And it'll crank over as long as ya want...
Like i said it normally sits for 15mins to an hour...but its been over an hour now and it still wont start.

Huh thats interesting. I will definitely look into checking the fuel drain!

kshansen

Occupation
Yup exactly. Its cranking over It just refusing to start. And it'll crank over as long as ya want...
Like i said it normally sits for 15mins to an hour...but its been over an hour now and it still wont start.

Huh thats interesting. I will definitely look into checking the fuel drain!

Not sure what the problem is but for some reason releasing the fuel pressure would let it start. Just open the drain for a second or two then it would fire right up.

If you try this and it works might try sending a PM to "thepumpguysc" if he is around on the forum. He may be away with medical problems right now but when he's back he could most likely tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
What engine?
What kind of inj. pump..?? they put about 4 different ones on that machine.
Did you change the fuel filters.. did you loosen the fuel cap.. did you try to bleed the air from the system..
Did you loosen the lines at the injectors.. is the lift pump working..????

Hollyrock

We have a John Deere 1120 tractor it would not start after be shut off from reaching its operating temperature. The tractor did not burn much fuel and had enough power but needed to cool down before it would start again. The injector pump was turned down to much, had that fixed and now no problems starting.

kshansen

Occupation
What engine?
What kind of inj. pump..?? they put about 4 different ones on that machine.
Did you change the fuel filters.. did you loosen the fuel cap.. did you try to bleed the air from the system..
Did you loosen the lines at the injectors.. is the lift pump working..????

The engine in the 1845C I had mentioned was the Case/Cummins 4-390 think Cummins called it a 4B. Do not recall what pump it had. All we did was crack open the drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter then close it would crank right up. It would run for ever with out a problem, just sometimes if shut down it would not fire up until you relieved fuel pressure.

Looking online some I'm thinking it is the CAV injector pump from what I remember.

mountainlake

Occupation
sawmill operator
My 75xt did that, changed the fuel filter and bled it. Works good.

Relic1882

Occupation
Concrete Mixer Driver
I bought an aftermarket fuel cap for mine when I needed to replace it. It wasn't vented properly so I'd have to make sure I opened it for a moment before trying to start my 1840, or I'd get the same problem. Crank away and get nothing. Pop the fuel cap off for a second, here that psssssss... and she fires right up!

Colorado made

I have an 1845C case. It was running just fine for about 20 minutes I turned it off and then restarted it to move it in front of my house and it died with out any notice it has fuel in it I replace the fuel filter I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be.