• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c oil leak at control spool sleeve

freddy62

What a great site; lots of knowledge. I have leaks at both control spools & sleeves; I can easily pull the spool out to put on new o-ring but the sleeve does not what to move. I have not work on it very hard because of possible damaging it. Is there a way of getting it out unharmed or do I need to get new ones?

sheepfoot

If we are talking about the loader lift and bucket valve, I slip it off the machine to change the spool seals. They had two different valves, a dukes and a Cessna, The dukes had a in closed end cap on the loader detent housing and the Cessna seems like the detent stud came threw the end housing. After cleaning the valve remove the screws that hold the centering spring, detent housings. You may have to tap them with a small hammer to loosen the paint, leave the cap installed on the loader spool and slide the spool out the rear, clean, install new o rings, lube the spool and reinstall, tighten the end cap screws. The bucket end cap can come off, remove the spool to the rear, clean, install seals, lube, reinstall, replace the end cap. Install the valve back if removed, check fluid, test. Always release hyd pressure, and tank pressure before servicing system.

alrman

Welcome to HEF freddy62!
My guess is you are describing the travel control spools on the transmission pumps. The sleeves can be a little stubborn sometimes. They are made of hardened steel, so you can be very assertive with them without fear of damage. I usually use a pair of vise grips to grab & remove them. Try a little wriggle as you attempt to pull it out.
TIP - leave the inner spool in while trying to remove, it will stop you oversqueezing the sleeve, (& possibly cracking the sleeve) as they can get a little thin in the wall due to the spring contact.
ALSO - they have a location notch in them, take note of it's position during removal.

freddy62

What a great site; lots of knowledge. I have leaks at both control spools & sleeves; I can easily pull the spool out to put on new o-ring but the sleeve does not what to move. I have not work on it very hard because of possible damaging it. Is there a way of getting it out unharmed or do I need to get new ones?

Thanks alrman had to clamp on sleeve a couple times to get it moving; but it is hard because vise grip didn't even score it when slipped off.
Sorry sheepfoot I did not say I was working on the tandem pump assembly; will try to be more descriptive. Thanks again

steve wherley

If have repeated leaking ,the pump housing becomes bad . Take outer spool to machine shop and have second grove cut in it below top one. Carry machined one on servive truck