• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

160h transmission not engaging

chris dials

I’ve got a cat 160h that has lost all forward and reverse

Had a stick come up and broke an air fitting under the cab which caused low enough air pressure that the parking brake set. Was able to build enough pressure to get the grader off the side of the road. Fixed the air leak, but now I have no forward or reverse. Doesn’t even try to engage. Is it possible the transmission took a **** right then ?

chris dials

I depressed it when putting it in gear and it didn’t feel any different than normal.
The transmission issue and air issue all started at the same time. I was thinking the stick that hit the air line possibly messed up something electrical. But I can’t find anything else damaged in the area. It struck right below the cab on the right hand side. Which also is below the gear selector.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
See if pulling the inching pedal up with your hand does anything. (There was an instance not so long ago of a grader that lost all gears and it turned out the problem was that the inching pedal was sticking and would not come fully up without pulling it.)

EDIT: If mechnically pulling up the inching pedal doesn't do anything then the problem may be electrical. Apart from looking for damage to wiring under the cab what is the machine Serial Number.? On some 160H models it is possible to get into the electronic diagnostics from the monitor Panel.

Last edited: