• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

16" Water main

john1066

This is a Job that i have been working on now. Its an 8 million dollar industrial park road that was cut in through the woods in Attleboro MA. The city decided at the end of the project to Run a 16 Inch water main to the project. so my crew came in to run up the street 1000 feet while another crew ran about 2500 feet on site. we have had rock and ground water the entire way. For Equipment we Have a 345BL 235C with hammer 315CL with allied hopac and 2 foot bucket an M316 and 938G loader. 1 ten wheeler and 1dump trailer.

Attachments

• P8270128.jpg
    P8270128.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,315
  • P8270129.jpg
    P8270129.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,312
  • P8260125.jpg
    P8260125.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,293
  • P8310135.jpg
    P8310135.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,297
  • P8310137.jpg
    P8310137.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,303

john1066

more pics

Attachments

• P8260127.jpg
    P8260127.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,296
  • P8310136.jpg
    P8310136.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,311
  • P8310134.jpg
    P8310134.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,299

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
How deep do you need to bury your water mains up there? Around here it's usually in the neighborhood of 4'.

john1066

more pics

Attachments

• P9010138.jpg
    P9010138.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,225
  • P9010143.jpg
    P9010143.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,227
  • P9010147.jpg
    P9010147.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,219
  • P9020149.jpg
    P9020149.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,216
  • P9020148.jpg
    P9020148.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,216

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Are the trucks "Hacks " or you're own companys?

stock

Occupation
That Name is terrible familiar but a good one,in Gaelic it is " Breathnach" ( breth-knock)

Attachments

• P8310136 truck.jpg
    P8310136 truck.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,163

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
post 5 picture 4...........where's the trench box :eek: lol.

nice looking equipment and a bunch of it that's for sure

Pj

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
post 5 picture 4...........where's the trench box :eek: lol.

nice looking equipment and a bunch of it that's for sure

Pj

That is kind of what I was thinking. Not trying to tell someone what to do but that is scary.

danhoe

You can not call trench conditions from pictures, if they are using a pentrometer and the trench is all right what is the problem. Is there a compenant trained trench person on the job ? that is his call and the companies call, and most important nobody made them guys go in the hole ! I woud post pictures of my work but all the comments about saftey are un called for. I am the 3rd generation underground contractor, knock on wood nobody has been killed or injured from 1927. Nothing would ever get done anywere or in any trade if everyone of OSHA's were followed, think about it we would not even have the swine flu ! I am not bashing anyone here just think about what is said. Nice pictures I enjoyed the story. ps, if you are driving down the road and you wave someone by they are hit , YOU are responsable for that wreck ! digger

stock

Occupation
It would be our company recommendation when working on a road with live traffic and at depth in excess of 1.2m (4') a trench box be used the only exception to this recommendation would be when the breaker is employed all the time due to rock.

Turbo21835

It would be our company recommendation when working on a road with live traffic and at depth in excess of 1.2m (4') a trench box be used the only exception to this recommendation would be when the breaker is employed all the time due to rock.

This is the same here, but if your read OSHA regulations, if the trench has any water in it, it becomes a class C ditch, even if it is in solid rock. Class C ditch requires a trench box.

stock

Occupation
As yet we are not bound by OSHA because we are on the wrong side of the pond,but none the less we do have a raft of rules and regulations to adhere to,below is a brief outline ,a type of code of practice, you might say
Code of practice

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
You can not call trench conditions from pictures, if they are using a pentrometer and the trench is all right what is the problem. Is there a compenant trained trench person on the job ? that is his call and the companies call, and most important nobody made them guys go in the hole ! I woud post pictures of my work but all the comments about saftey are un called for. I am the 3rd generation underground contractor, knock on wood nobody has been killed or injured from 1927. Nothing would ever get done anywere or in any trade if everyone of OSHA's were followed, think about it we would not even have the swine flu ! I am not bashing anyone here just think about what is said. Nice pictures I enjoyed the story. ps, if you are driving down the road and you wave someone by they are hit , YOU are responsable for that wreck ! digger
Lose the attitude, all I was pointing out is that nobody fallow's all the rules all the time. and I am not going to get into the law's but Yeah, the company would be responsible if somthing were to happen to a hand in the hole, ;)

Pj

danhoe

No attitude here, I all I was saying someone posts a picture of the work they are doing someone brings up saftey issue's. I should have asked if the air pressure was correct on the mack truck tires. PJ in my truck I drive to the job everyday is a confined space air monitor, a harness and everything to go with it my company saftey policy with toolbox talks, done every week, that everyone signs when they come to work for me. Also is a pocket pentrometer that is used at least 2 times a day and the readings are recorded on the daily report, me and another guy on the crew is a compentant trench person. I can list the rest of my safety policy but I think you can see safety is something we take very serious. I have been through safety checks with my 1987 C 70 dump truck with a Trailking trailer and did not get a ticket. So I think you can understand were I am coming from on my safety and everyone around me. The guy and everyone else on this site and other sites that have posted pictures was proud of them, you can say nice pictures, like the hoe, nice truck, ect. not bash the saftey issues. I have been coming to this site for along time and dont say a whole lot because of things like what was posted, I have no problem keeping my opinion to myself, having been doing underground work for over 30 years, grew up with some of the legend's of the construction industry. I have learned a few things and I could help some others on this site but I will continue to keep my knowledge to myself at least not post it here. Dan

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I hope this is settled now, as I don't think this is the track John1066 wanted the thread he started to go. :)

stock

Occupation
I do hope that no one misconstrued any of my posts of having attitude,I merely pointed out that there is in excess of 5000miles (8000km) of water between Osha and me (like to keep it that way )and duly posted a link showing our code of practice which may make someone's life a little easier,but don't expect me to throw out my toys in temper.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I brought up the ditch with no trench box, because when I was a labor on a water+sewer crew I almost got killed in a ditch accident. So it something that I really look at closely.
Understand?