• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140M vs 770D Pictorial

Billy X

ovrszd

I wish some of our local council operators down under had an attitude like yours. 9 times out of 10 they are given the newest gear available and operate the machines like they would something 30 years old. Also they only do that about 5 hours a day!! If we as contractors were to operate the same way we would be out of work and broke in no time.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I'm starting to feel like the bad guy here. I really don't mean to give you a hard time as I thoroughly enjoy your posts. You're very knowledgeable and seem to know your stuff. I can only relate as to what I've have experience with. Plowing snow? We agree! petal to the metal time. I'm not familiar with your grader so really I shouldn't argue about how fast you can go when grading. I'm just having a hard time (based on experience) to believe that speed can produce the same results when grading. But...I'm going to give in and say okay I believe you. See? I'm not so bad eh?

Love to come down that way!

I wish some of our local council operators down under had an attitude like yours. 9 times out of 10 they are given the newest gear available and operate the machines like they would something 30 years old. Also they only do that about 5 hours a day!! If we as contractors were to operate the same way we would be out of work and broke in no time.

I wouldn't know grader operating from a cow's butt......but when talking speed I would have thought the newer technology would help the machine/operator acheive the result "faster" with less movements (passes); as opposed to actually operating at higher "speed". This maybe more so with the integrated Laser/GPS equipment but surely these new machines are more compatible and able to work with this technology bettera???.

I recently went out to an airport development and one operator there was telling me he could set his M up (Accugrade) and grade the roadbase in 3 passes, 1 to put the material where he wanted, 2 to run it to grade and a third pass on fine trim "just to make it look good". He said it was so easy that even a government worker could do it.....:rolleyes:

Grader4me

I wouldn't know grader operating from a cow's butt......but when talking speed I would have thought the newer technology would help the machine/operator acheive the result "faster" with less movements (passes); as opposed to actually operating at higher "speed". This maybe more so with the integrated Laser/GPS equipment but surely these new machines are more compatible and able to work with this technology bettera???.

I recently went out to an airport development and one operator there was telling me he could set his M up (Accugrade) and grade the roadbase in 3 passes, 1 to put the material where he wanted, 2 to run it to grade and a third pass on fine trim "just to make it look good".

Oh I agree fully that with this new technology you will be able to achieve finish results with less passes as the Laser/GPS takes the operator error out of the mix....but it depends on what you are doing. Grading roads for example takes an X number of passes to complete..doesn't matter if you have most advanced grader in the world. A moldboard is only so wide. So with the new graders speed when grading is the answer...I guess..

I've graded roads just making 3 or 4 passes (depends on the width) and you can cover alot of ground in a day. The big thing about grading is you want your job to last. I can go grade a road with the 3 passes filling in the potholes with material. Get a couple of days rain or a lot of traffic then I'm back at it again. I personally like to cut the whole road taking out the potholes instead of filling them in. Then after a lot of traffic and rain my road is still holding up. So what way would make more sense if we are talking about getting the most bang for your buck?

He said it was so easy that even a government worker could do it.....

Easssyyyy....:eek: :D

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
ovrszd

We are in a large council area and not far from us us is sort of a boundary where the grader from the north comes to and then another grader comes up from the south grading the council roads. I know the operators on the northern grader and they do a pretty good job. They cut the road one way and then grade the fill back over filling the potholes as they go. The grader from the south barely scrapes the road and in a lot of places there is very little to grade and then he only does one pass so when he has finished, the potholes are still there and the road gradually hollows out in the middle. All in the same council area.
What really annoys me is when he finishes a run sometimes he comes out on to a sealed road and he turns hard on the lock, front wheels and artic so that on all the sealed roads where he has been there are two black marks where he has turned. I just wonder what that does to the machine.

Oh I agree fully that with this new technology you will be able to achieve finish results with less passes as the Laser/GPS takes the operator error out of the mix....but it depends on what you are doing. Grading roads for example takes an X number of passes to complete..doesn't matter if you have most advanced grader in the world. A moldboard is only so wide. So with the new graders speed when grading is the answer...I guess.. :D

I am not sure that I am qualified to even comment here, but here goes and if I get shot down in flames, so be it. At the best I would describe myself as a bush grader operator operating mechanical Allis Chalmers, Cat 12E, Komatsu amd Champion. The Champion is our current grader and while I have seen some fairly derrogatory remarks on the forum about Champion graders, it is a good old bush grader for us at this point in time.

Speed in grading I think comes down to the operator and the job he is on at the time. I don't think the machine plays a huge part in it. Take aside lasers etc. the only other areas where the new machines will be faster is that they will be quicker turning and manouvering and have faster hydraulics for setting yourself up for the next run. On the actual job and here I am talking straight forward grading, roads, levelling etc. and experienced operator would grade as fast as on an older machine as he would on a newer one. By experience I don't only mean operating the machine, but also reading the job and placing the maximum amount of material in the right place with the least amount of passes. Some jobs where you are reeling windrows out of the way or running them right out, you can go as fast as you have power to push it. For final trimming or finishing roads you need to go much slower and I think a good operator will get the job done in a similar amount of time, no matter what machine he has. If they can stop the new machines from bouncing at speed, well then they will have a distinct advantage over the older machines.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
grading

Now this is good discussion!!! Worldwide discussion actually!!!

First I want to comment on a few things that's not been clarified by anyone. Road width. Material type. Yearly rainfall. Traffic volume.

Second I want to also clarify that 90% of the comments in this thread have been about stone road maintenance. Speed, use or lack of use of certain ammenities, accuracy of laser guided systems, etc., have different affects when doing final grade on a construction project for example. Not that they aren't important, just that how fast a grader is operated when doing a laser guided finish pass for a parking lot has nothing to do with how fast I go when grading a gravel road.

In my case most of my roadbeds are near 24 foot width. Material is crushed limestone spread on mostly clay soil. Our yearly rainfall average is 35". Traffic volume on my roads varies from a couple vehicles a day to a vehicle every couple minutes. Varies from light car traffic to large agricultural equipment and trucks.

In my 48 miles of roads I see a large variance in material type because of soil type changes. These changes have to be adjusted to when grading them. In some instances I may be moving so little material that a third pass isn't even required. Then the next road may need massive work and a lot of material moved. One issue we fight this time of year is vegetation growing out into the gravel. If it's not dealt with on the less travelled roads you end up with a one lane path. So now I'm moving a lot of material and doing minimal resurfacing to the roadbed, just killing weeds.

In my case I very rarely dislodge the roadbed as mentioned by Grader4me. We don't have the luxury of having elevated roadbeds with massive amounts of gravel covering the dirt. If I cut to the bottom of a pothole I've cut completely thru my roadbed and now have a dirt road with a bunch of loose gravel. So that's why I fix potholes individually. I'll try to take a couple pictures of our roadbeds for comparison.

In the beginning of this discussion I talked more than once about the end result when grading. I talked of equal quality of that end result and always used that as a standard when talking about speed, number of passes, etc. With that being clarified once again, if you need to run 3 mph and make seven passes to get that end result, then that's what you should do. That's what I would do also when grading under those conditions. If, on the other hand, you can run 7 mph and make three passes to get that end result, then that's what you shoud do. What I don't like to see is a tax supported grader running 3 mph and making a gazillion passes just because the operator doesn't like to go any faster. Or a tax supported operator turning around without using rear steer just because he doesn't understand how to use it. In those cases I believe the taxpayer is being cheated.

As for new machines speeding up the process. Most definitely. No doubt about that. If not, why would there be new designs?? We would all still be running rigid framed, gear operated, stand up graders. A simple example of speed gain would be the weight/power of a new machine. My machine will cut a swath in a solid roadbed in one pass that a thirty year old machine could not cut at all.

Finally, nothing I say in this discussion is a slam on anyone participating. It's also not a slam on anyone's equipment, run what ya brung. As I said above, good discussion!!! I'm especially interested in hearing comments from operators in other parts of the world. I know they are dealing with totally different weather and soil conditions than I. :usa

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Not to sound slow, but what happens when you're working and it starts to hail? I see Cat has gone with the steel roof with no insulating. Is it also a cold cab? I wanna know.

Sorry, don't answer that, I'm talking about the TLBs.

Last edited:

Billy X

Well said ovrszd

I think many of us would agree that all jobs will have certain differences and require different techniques.This being said I think that when we are talking about road maintenence (grading gravel roads)there are many things that will change the way you do the job.Where I work the major problem is grass and moisture, it is usually 6ft high both sides of the road with a single track down the middle:Banghead impossible to handle unless you get rid of it before you start.Once the grass has gone you can then do something with the road,just keep in mind that the gravel is usually as dry as a wooden god and very dusty.So the less you handle the material the better the job will be at the end.Out here our potholes are sometimes up to a foot deep:eek:to grade those suckers out you would end up with a big windrow of bulldust!Not much chop.In an ideal world we would have a multi roller and water truck on hand and we could turn that road into a brand new one. In the end you can only do what you can do and as long as you are doing your best with the gear you have then nobody can ask any questions.

roadrunner

Now this is good discussion!!! Worldwide discussion actually!!!

First I want to comment on a few things that's not been clarified by anyone. Road width. Material type. Yearly rainfall. Traffic volume.

Second I want to also clarify that 90% of the comments in this thread have been about stone road maintenance. Speed, use or lack of use of certain ammenities, accuracy of laser guided systems, etc., have different affects when doing final grade on a construction project for example. Not that they aren't important, just that how fast a grader is operated when doing a laser guided finish pass for a parking lot has nothing to do with how fast I go when grading a gravel road.

In my case most of my roadbeds are near 24 foot width. Material is crushed limestone spread on mostly clay soil. Our yearly rainfall average is 35". Traffic volume on my roads varies from a couple vehicles a day to a vehicle every couple minutes. Varies from light car traffic to large agricultural equipment and trucks.

In my 48 miles of roads I see a large variance in material type because of soil type changes. These changes have to be adjusted to when grading them. In some instances I may be moving so little material that a third pass isn't even required. Then the next road may need massive work and a lot of material moved. One issue we fight this time of year is vegetation growing out into the gravel. If it's not dealt with on the less travelled roads you end up with a one lane path. So now I'm moving a lot of material and doing minimal resurfacing to the roadbed, just killing weeds.

In my case I very rarely dislodge the roadbed as mentioned by Grader4me. We don't have the luxury of having elevated roadbeds with massive amounts of gravel covering the dirt. If I cut to the bottom of a pothole I've cut completely thru my roadbed and now have a dirt road with a bunch of loose gravel. So that's why I fix potholes individually. I'll try to take a couple pictures of our roadbeds for comparison.

In the beginning of this discussion I talked more than once about the end result when grading. I talked of equal quality of that end result and always used that as a standard when talking about speed, number of passes, etc. With that being clarified once again, if you need to run 3 mph and make seven passes to get that end result, then that's what you should do. That's what I would do also when grading under those conditions. If, on the other hand, you can run 7 mph and make three passes to get that end result, then that's what you shoud do. What I don't like to see is a tax supported grader running 3 mph and making a gazillion passes just because the operator doesn't like to go any faster. Or a tax supported operator turning around without using rear steer just because he doesn't understand how to use it. In those cases I believe the taxpayer is being cheated.

As for new machines speeding up the process. Most definitely. No doubt about that. If not, why would there be new designs?? We would all still be running rigid framed, gear operated, stand up graders. A simple example of speed gain would be the weight/power of a new machine. My machine will cut a swath in a solid roadbed in one pass that a thirty year old machine could not cut at all.

Finally, nothing I say in this discussion is a slam on anyone participating. It's also not a slam on anyone's equipment, run what ya brung. As I said above, good discussion!!! I'm especially interested in hearing comments from operators in other parts of the world. I know they are dealing with totally different weather and soil conditions than I. :usa

Ovrszd I reallylike the discussion now, everything you have said about grading gravel and dirt is exactly the conditions and problems that I have. I also run a tax funded machine, where every tax payer thinks they are your boss and knows how to grade better than I do!So all the points brought up here now I am just sitting here nodding in agreement.
I usually make only 2 passes on a 24ft roadtop, and will do sometimes 3 but that takes extra time to do and my grass and weeds on the edge of the road just will not stop growing when I want...(I know that everyone is nodding there head now!!)
So what I do is pick up my gravel from the side I last graded the road on and then I cut the road by moving the gravel on the edge towards the center.What I am saying is my moldboard closest to the shoulder will be cutting about half of the blade width - then it spreads the gravel for the other half just up to the crown in the road.This is my 1 pass only.The 2 pass I will put my wheels on the center on the road(I forgot to say that I always run my back tandem wheels on the centerline every time I am blading to keep a crown and to make a straight lines...) so anyways the 2 pass I will cut( very lightly, just scraping the crown to half of the moldboard width then ispread the other half over to the shoulder.So the will look like this------

cut then spread---center of road---cut and spread

Does this make sense to anyone or are you all glazed over by now?:eek:

The reason I usually only make 2 passes is that I have alot of miles to cover( over 300 in summer and cannot afford to tend to just gravel as I have alot of dirt/sand/clay!( with alot of grass to play with..):mad::mad:

Great discusion about grading techniques might have to start a new thread right Ovrszd!!
I have been really busy this past while but got some pics of my VOLVO for you all and will put them on this week so we can compare the DEERE and the CAT to it!:D:D

Now lets get back to the argueing....I mean discussions!!!:jerry

:canada

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Grass and growth along gravel roads seem to be a universal problem.:)

You don't have to wait many days from the snow has gone to the grass just poops up along the roads all over.

When it becomes to much i do a pass where i grade inn the grass from the shoulder, sometimes i take a good cut down into the ditch.
Thats to get the gravel up onto the shoulder.

Next pass i grade this windrow with grass and all into the middle of the road.
How far into the middle, depends on the width of the road.
At this second pass i use my windrow blade at the back.
It is fitted with serrated blades, and reach outside the windrow on the left side.
On the right side it goes all the way out to the ditch.
When i use the windrow spreader i have it adjusted so it lays out the windrow apr half of the road to get a proper crown.(according to road width)
The nice thing is that objects bigger than the serrated "slots" is rolled along the blade, and ends down the ditch again.
Thats all the grassrots, stones, sticks and other nasty stuff that gets up from the ditch at first pass.:D

If the grass has been growing to long, for years, some of the roots get real big and i need to do more passes to get the gravel out of them.

For the normal maintenance i normaly do one pass.
Cut from the outside and in, and the gravelspreader takes care of the crown/windrow and lays it nice out from the middle and out.
Takes some time to adjust the spreader correctly, but when its ok i just watch it in the mirrors and on the tv screen.:)

If there are bigger potholes i go on and add more pressure/a bigger cut with the joysticks.
I normaly grade by the constantpressure system, where i have adjusted the pressure to get a cut good/big enough for the "average" pothole depths.:)

Grader4me

The Champion is our current grader and while I have seen some fairly derrogatory remarks on the forum about Champion graders, it is a good old bush grader for us at this point in time.

Speed in grading I think comes down to the operator and the job he is on at the time. I don't think the machine plays a huge part in it. Take aside lasers etc. the only other areas where the new machines will be faster is that they will be quicker turning and manouvering and have faster hydraulics for setting yourself up for the next run. On the actual job and here I am talking straight forward grading, roads, levelling etc. and experienced operator would grade as fast as on an older machine as he would on a newer one. By experience I don't only mean operating the machine, but also reading the job and placing the maximum amount of material in the right place with the least amount of passes. Some jobs where you are reeling windrows out of the way or running them right out, you can go as fast as you have power to push it. For final trimming or finishing roads you need to go much slower and I think a good operator will get the job done in a similar amount of time, no matter what machine he has. If they can stop the new machines from bouncing at speed, well then they will have a distinct advantage over the older machines.

I have no problem with Champion Graders. One that I had (mentioned this many times) a 1977 Champion was a POS. Mainly because it was underpowered and always breaking down... always. I agree with what you are saying in your post. See? Again I'm in agreement. Therapy is helping...:D

On edit..When I'm shaping a road for chipseal it's first gear people. Yes, you heard me right...first gear

Last edited:

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I ran a series 3, 740a for almost ten years. the only problem we had was that the Transmission had to be rebuilt a year after we got it. Other than that, it was a good machine. I Dragged roads in the spring, finished base for ashpalt in the summer and monted a wing and plow in the winter, and worked on the Trans Canada Highway and provincial roads. it never let me down. I managed to put 10 000 k on it one winter alone. it was a good machine when the temperature dropped, (-20, to -40)

I wonder how the new M does in the cold.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Well said ovrszd

I think many of us would agree that all jobs will have certain differences and require different techniques.This being said I think that when we are talking about road maintenence (grading gravel roads)there are many things that will change the way you do the job.Where I work the major problem is grass and moisture, it is usually 6ft high both sides of the road with a single track down the middle:Banghead impossible to handle unless you get rid of it before you start.Once the grass has gone you can then do something with the road,just keep in mind that the gravel is usually as dry as a wooden god and very dusty.So the less you handle the material the better the job will be at the end.Out here our potholes are sometimes up to a foot deep:eek:to grade those suckers out you would end up with a big windrow of bulldust!Not much chop.In an ideal world we would have a multi roller and water truck on hand and we could turn that road into a brand new one. In the end you can only do what you can do and as long as you are doing your best with the gear you have then nobody can ask any questions.

Even better said Billy!!! I thought for a second you might be from Missouri til I looked at your info.

Sounds like we fight the same problems. My potholes don't get that deep, usually only a few inches and 12-24 inches across. But as you said, I can't cut them out with the moldboard without destroying my roadbed. Not sure if you have a scarifier?? I love mine for potholes.

Also use my scarifier when replacing a tube by ripping the gravel bed up and pushing it out of the way before getting into the dirt. That leaves me with good gravel material to put back on top when I'm done. In the case of a shallow, small tube I can replace it without having to purchase new gravel or hire a backhoe.

Again, well said. I'm amazed at how similar our conditions are in opposite ends of the Earth. Sometimes this time of year I have trouble seeing the leading end of the moldboard because of dust when I'm making my first two passes, depending on the breeze. I always hate grading past houses now because of the dust I create. If the road is in good shape in front of a house I'll lift my blade and go on by without creating more dust. Also slow down when making my final pass as I go by to not dust them anymore than necessary. :(

Oh, also calling it bulldust is perfect!!! :D

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Volvo

Roadrunner, I'm very anxious to see pics of the Volvo. I'm also enjoying the discussion about grading techniques.

I think we have a great gathering of gravel roadbed operators here right now so certainly don't see a need to start a new thread.

I've never tried your two pass technique. If I understand this correctly you are moving your material from one side of the roadbed to the other shaping and filling as you go?? I also understand keeping the rear of the grader straddling the crown when using this method so you have a reference so you don't misshape your roadbed. I'll have to try that now since I've got my grass/weeds cut loose and lying along the roadside. When it dries enough I'll try just using two passes to move the trash to the other side and hopefully drop the gravel out of it on the way.

Lastly, 300 miles of roads to grade!!! Holy Cow!!! That's definitely a fulltime job!!! In my case it's just parttime work for me. I call it therapy. I work daily for the Army as a civilian and am in the Army Reserves. Grading is where I ground my sanity. No phone calls, emails, faxes and/or stupid people!!! Heheheheh. :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
grading

Grass and growth along gravel roads seem to be a universal problem.:)

You don't have to wait many days from the snow has gone to the grass just poops up along the roads all over.

When it becomes to much i do a pass where i grade inn the grass from the shoulder, sometimes i take a good cut down into the ditch.
Thats to get the gravel up onto the shoulder.

Next pass i grade this windrow with grass and all into the middle of the road.
How far into the middle, depends on the width of the road.
At this second pass i use my windrow blade at the back.
It is fitted with serrated blades, and reach outside the windrow on the left side.
On the right side it goes all the way out to the ditch.
When i use the windrow spreader i have it adjusted so it lays out the windrow apr half of the road to get a proper crown.(according to road width)
The nice thing is that objects bigger than the serrated "slots" is rolled along the blade, and ends down the ditch again.
Thats all the grassrots, stones, sticks and other nasty stuff that gets up from the ditch at first pass.:D

If the grass has been growing to long, for years, some of the roots get real big and i need to do more passes to get the gravel out of them.

For the normal maintenance i normaly do one pass.
Cut from the outside and in, and the gravelspreader takes care of the crown/windrow and lays it nice out from the middle and out.
Takes some time to adjust the spreader correctly, but when its ok i just watch it in the mirrors and on the tv screen.:)

If there are bigger potholes i go on and add more pressure/a bigger cut with the joysticks.
I normaly grade by the constantpressure system, where i have adjusted the pressure to get a cut good/big enough for the "average" pothole depths.:)

Man I wish you were closer to me!!! I would so love to run your pressure sensitive system and try out your gravelspreader!!!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
This certainly is an interesting thread. I am quite pleased to hear that there are a few Champion operators out there. I do know there were some reliability problems with them down here as well.

Getting back to the topic, the biggest problem with our rural roads here is that there is nothing left to grade. Any gravel that they had on them has powdered up and they are virtually back to the dirt base. The only place you can make material is to cut the shoulder down slightly but I find there is always a small ridge that the traffic pushes up through normal road wear just in from the shoulder, and if you cut that ridge out it is suprising how much material you generate. That is where the old Champion is good because it is fairly heavy and puts the power on the ground really well. The council operators seldom cut that ridge out, so occassionally when I get that p/o'd with the potholes, because our trucks are on this road nearly every day (about 4km) I will give the road a good cut and then bring the material back to fill the potholes. The problem with the council graders is that for economic reasons they buy Cat 120's with 14' blades for patrol grading and I think they are just not heavy enough to cut the ridge out. You can often see the washboard effect where the grader has bounced.

Do any of you pull rollers at all? Here they sometimes pull a combinination roller and they also have a couple of graders fitted with a Freeroll. This is a row of compactor tyres on a roller fitted in place of the rear rippers and they apply downward hydraulic pressure when rolling. The rollers do work well when the material is damp.

I would be interested to hear more about the Volvo graders considering that Volvo bought Champion out and what about Komatsu graders, I don't think I have seen them mentioned anywhere on the forum. We had a GD625A for a few years and it was a fantastic grader but we sold it because things were a bit tight and the Champion is handling our work at the moment.

Rn'R.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
grading

On edit..When I'm shaping a road for chipseal it's first gear people. Yes, you heard me right...first gear

I hear that!!! That's why I wanted to clarify the type of grading I was talking about. There's certainly a place for 1st gear speed, that's why they built it into the machine!!! ;)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
grading

The only place you can make material is to cut the shoulder down slightly but I find there is always a small ridge that the traffic pushes up through normal road wear just in from the shoulder, and if you cut that ridge out it is suprising how much material you generate. so occassionally when I get that p/o'd with the potholes, because our trucks are on this road nearly every day (about 4km) I will give the road a good cut and then bring the material back to fill the potholes.

This is where I get material also. I've got a set of SandVic carbide tipped cutters that I use to do that. They work better than a smooth cutter because they don't cut the gravel in half, they simply flip it up out of the roadbed and leave you with a whole piece of gravel that is now loose to move around.

The problem with the council graders is that for economic reasons they buy Cat 120's with 14' blades for patrol grading and I think they are just not heavy enough to cut the ridge out. You can often see the washboard effect where the grader has bounced.

I'm very fortunate in that regard. My board understands and supports having a heavy/powerful machine. Our first Deere, years ago, was a 670B, since then we've always bought the 700 series to get that extra weight and HP.

Do any of you pull rollers at all? Here they sometimes pull a combinination roller and they also have a couple of graders fitted with a Freeroll. This is a row of compactor tyres on a roller fitted in place of the rear rippers and they apply downward hydraulic pressure when rolling. The rollers do work well when the material is damp.

A township near us built a roller to go on their front toolbar. I rarely see them use it but I could see a time when it would be handy.

I would be interested to hear more about the Volvo graders considering that Volvo bought Champion out and what about Komatsu graders, I don't think I have seen them mentioned anywhere on the forum. Rn'R.

I agree, I want to hear more about both of those brands. I'm especially interested in the Volvo joystick system since now it's becoming popular with CAT and DEERE. We just don't have any Volvo graders around here. I've only saw one and it was on a trailer travelling down the hiway.

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
ncbschzzt,
when do you think these new G series will be come available. I was talking to a service rep today, and he was not sure when they are coming. I have seen/posted a couple of pictures of a G, but if you have any more I would like to see them.

p.s. with all that schooln, do you need to a MD or PHD to you name?

In the next few months, I am getting conflicting reports. However I will try and get more info today.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Here is some pics and description about the Volvo joysticks:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2189&page=4

I have to say that this servo system is a aftermarket addon for the Scandinavian market.
It is developed from the electronic system that controls steelwrists in Scandinavia.(not steelwrist as producer, but same systems)
Everybody got those on their excavators, so the electronic system has been on the marked for some years.:D

Our grader system is two excavator joysticks, with two brains controlling all the functions on the grader.:)

Volvo Canada has tested this system, but as long as the customers all over dont demand it, it will be a Scandinavian speciality.:)
Tell me what u want to know and ill find some pics and explain..:cool:

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Volvo

Thanks MKTEF for the link. That's what I was looking for. If I ever get a chance to watch or run a Volvo I'll certainly take advantage of it. :)