• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'13 Cat 262C2 c3.4 intake boot blowing off turbo

262C2

Occupation
Loader Operator
The Ss is an 2013 262C2 c3.4L motor with about 500 hrs on it. The loader has been running fine since new and all of a sudden the intake hose is constanly blowing off the Turbo. We figured maybe the clamp had gotten loose and we tightened the dog mess out of it and it is still blowing off.. what could be causing this issue?

The application its being used at requires full throttle operation. The loader was taken to the Cat dealership 2 days ago and their reply was they could not find anything wrong with it. They want us to run it again and see how it performs.. Has anyone ran into this issue before on pre '13 models including the 262C?

mitch504

I'm not familiar with this machine, but some things bad motor mounts will cause this. When the engine torques up, it can move far enough to pull that boot off. Is your air filter or the pipe connected to that boot mounted on the engine or the frame?

262C2

Occupation
Loader Operator
I will check tomorrow, they will be bringing it to our site for us to try it out. We have 2 of them, the other has 550hrs on it and it has been running well with no issues. I am going to add another clamp to it to see if that will help any when i get the chance. That was my first thought also where maybe the clamp was loosening itself due to the vibration. I wouldnt think either that it was making too much boost bc its a small turbo. It is the hose coming off of the turbo going into the intake, which i dont see motor mount being an issue there..

Cmark

Has the turbo got a wastegate? I've checked on SIS but can't tell from the info available.

If the air line to the wastegate actuator is leaking, or the actuator is stuck it will cause too much boost pressure with the potential to blow the intake hose off.

262C2

Occupation
Loader Operator
I was given misinformation, the hose is blowing off on the intake side not the turbo.. they put a new clamp on it is all they done to it. Yes it does have the wastegate and if it does blow off again that will be mentioned to the to check.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I don't see a wastegate on this turbo.
So it is blowing off at the end on the right side of the picture?
I wonder if the hose has gotten oily or slippery . It may need a good cleaning of the hose and the intake pipe to get it to grab better

Attachments

• 262c2.gif
    262c2.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 262c2 2.gif
    262c2 2.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

262C2

Occupation
Loader Operator
There is no wastegate.. did not look hard enough at it. Yes it is blowing off at the right of the picture at the bottom of the hose after the 90° turn. That may have happened and they may have cleaned it when they inspected it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If the inlet manifold to which the hose Ref 4 connects is painted, try removing the paint, rough up the cast surface, then replace the existing 5P-4868 Hose Clamp at that location with a 144-0367 "Constant torque" Hose clamp. TBH you might be better replacing the clamps at both ends of the hose with CT clamps. They are listed at $11 each.

Mobiltech, check out SEPD0959 "Constant Torque Hose Clamps Are Now Used" for smaller skid steers. It does not include the 262 but I don't see why it shouldn't also work as a solution in this case because it adresses the exact same issue of the 5P-4868 clamps loosening.