• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

120M Grader

Mike456

I have a 120M AWD grader that won't start. It started out with a bad battery (which I initially thought was the main issue). It would start, but it was hard to start, and then it completely stopped starting. I noticed that the fuel primer wasn't coming on when the switch was on, but here's the kicker—it would come on when the switch was turned off. I thought it might have been one of the ECMs, but my computer is reading all the ECMs correctly. I also considered the injection pump, but I'm getting maximum PSI from the pump. The solenoid on the injection pump is randomly engaging while the switch is in the 'on' position. I can't recall if that's supposed to happen, but the primer isn't coming on. I'm getting abnormal readings for RPM on my computer, and the tachometer jumps up and down, which makes me think it might be one of the speed sensors. However, I started to doubt that theory when I was messing around in the engine compartment, and the primer came on, the tachometer stopped jumping around, and the grader started running, but only for a few minutes. I couldn't get it to replicate that again, though. Nevertheless, all these symptoms, especially the tachometer jumping and the primer coming on when the switch is shut off, are still present.

Mike456

Yes, I have a ET. Is currently have a few codes,

41-3 8 volt DC supply above normal

91-8 TPS above normal range

573-3 intching pedal sensor voltage above normal range

1482-3 10 volt DC power supply above normal range

Mike456

My serial number I would have to dig and find. They paint over everything in the military and they get taken off. It only has 766 hours on it

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, so what you have is a military model DV182 originally built for the US Navy. This special configuration was designed to be carried in a C130. Specified as follows: -
Motor Grader - AWD (NAVY) "narrow" axle for C130, Air Comp & Tank, WAVES camera cables only, w/o camera, blade accumulator, belly guards, Accugrade-Ready, non-CARC Seabee green paint, A-Kit floor armor installed under cab.

There is limited information in the system on the PJB-prefix machine but a 12M of B9N prefix is the equivalent "commercial" model. So look to that S/N prefix for parts & service information if you ever get stuck.

Nige

By your description of the fault it sounds like a wiring harness/connection issue. I will send you an electrical schematic for a B9N machine because there is no schematic listed for a PJB-prefix machine, so keep an eye on your messages. You will need this to identify the locations of all the main wiring harness connectors, plus it will also help with the troubleshooting procedures.

So now on to the Diagnostic Codes. I need to know which specific ECM is registering a couple of the Codes.

For example the 41-3. It is listed under MID027 (Powertrain), MID075 (AWD), & MID082 (Implements).
1482-3 is listed under both MID027 & MID082.

Depending on which MID is generating the Code the troubleshooting procedure is different. So can you identify which ECM is throwing the 41 & 1482 Codes, or more than one if applicable.

Attached the troubleshooting for the 91-8 and 573-3.

Attachments

• MID027 CID0573 FMI03.pdf
    167.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Speed Control PWM - Test.pdf
    137.8 KB · Views: 2

Mike456

I’m in the military. Generally with all the equipment we have they add those few feature, i.e. paint, belly guard and also it’s usually just paint green with same serial as the ones with all the those add features we have in military. They’re usually the same as commercial model, just “green”…

The code for the throttle and intch pedal are really strange. Cause when it started yesterday, I was able to throttle it and move it. It’s really throwing me for a loop. Especially with solenoid engaging constantly on the injector pump..

Mike456

By your description of the fault it sounds like a wiring harness/connection issue. I will send you an electrical schematic for a B9N machine because there is no schematic listed for a PJB-prefix machine, so keep an eye on your messages. You will need this to identify the locations of all the main wiring harness connectors, plus it will also help with the troubleshooting procedures.

So now on to the Diagnostic Codes. I need to know which specific ECM is registering a couple of the Codes.

For example the 41-3. It is listed under MID027 (Powertrain), MID075 (AWD), & MID082 (Implements).
1482-3 is listed under both MID027 & MID082.

Depending on which MID is generating the Code the troubleshooting procedure is different. So can you identify which ECM is throwing the 41 & 1482 Codes, or more than one if applicable.

Attached the troubleshooting for the 91-8 and 573-3.
IMG_1632.jpeg

Nige

This is what ECM the code are listed under
So the 10v Supply Code is in the Transmission/Chassis ECM. This may be the result of a communication issue between the transmission itself and the ECM which somewhat confirms your theory of messing around in the engine compartment and suddenly everything sprang back to life, even if only temporarily. that ought to focus your investigation. using the electrical schematic try to identify the location of all the major harness connectors in & around the engine compartment.

The 8v Supply Code looks to be in the engine ECM and your screen grab appears to indicate that it's Logged rather than Active. Here is the troubleshooting procedure for it anyway. You may find that wire colours and connector Pin Numbers may be different to what's physically on the machine. Use the relevant references from the machine electrical schematic if that is the case.

Attachments

• MID027 CID1482 FMI03.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 2
  • MID036 CID0041 FMI03.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 2