• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10 ply or 14 ply for skid/dozer trailer

Fordman

I haul my 1845c and 350B dozer on a tandem heavy trailer. Most of the tires are straight unreliable. Should I be looking at 10 ply or 14 ply tires? the biggest load is the 350B and it weighs around 10k. Thanks!

Truck Shop

14 ply-because what starts out as lite loads ends up heavier later on. Not mention way less side wall flex in tight turns.

Truck Shop

f311fr1

We have been changing over to 14 ply on all 4 of our trailers as we change out tires. You need to see how many plys the side walls are. Not all 14 plys are created equal.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As much as you hate to pony up the extra cost of an American made 14 ply tire it is worth the acid reflux to do so. China made tires just don't last. What size wheels? 16"? Or are you lucky enough to have 17.5's? In a 16" I've seen the super duper Goodyears really perform well. They're high $$ but over time you're money ahead unless it sits so much they rot off the wheel. Sidewall plys are important as that gives the carcass integrity in turns and the occasional curb hop, intentional or not :)

17.5's are worth a thought if you are lucky enough to have hubs that match an existing wheel. Opens up a lot of options and even gets you into 16/18 ply tires. Food for thought.