1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1 1/2" fuel filter base

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by rdr, Aug 8, 2017.

1. rdr

rdr Active Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this ?. setting up a fuel truck need a filter set the ones we are using are now $450. us is there a cheaper one out there [we are using 2 mioncron filters in ours ] thanks ron

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    A little more info or maybe even a picture would help someone give you useful information.

Like is the 1 1/2" the pipe thread size on the filter head?
    What does this filter supply fuel to?
    How many gallons per minute do you need to pump/filter.
    Maybe even a make and part number of the ones you are using now?

3. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    2 micron on a fuel truck seems awful tight to me....on the engine as a secondary I can see it. 1-1/2" as in inlet and outlet?

Good lord $450? How long they last?

4. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Don't know if it's legal, but in the past I used standard hydraulic filter heads and spin on filters, Zinga is good you can get 3 micron. I used to run two in series, the first was a 10 micron "Aqua-Zorb" to trap water and then a 3 micron synthetic media, both set to no bypass, the pumps we used would deadhead without a problem so when the filter clogged up fuel would just stop flowing. http://www.zinga.com/

5. rdr

rdr Active Member

sorry 1 1/2 " pipe thread for fuel on mobil truck [ use cim-tek centurion ii filters on other pumps ] ron

6. rdr

rdr Active Member

7. rdr

rdr Active Member

60 gpm 50psi

8. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

The setup I mentioned, two hydraulic filter heads, two spin on filters, 80GPM at 200 psi max, you could get the pieces for about $150 plus shipping. Replacement filters run $35-$40 typically. Racor was always the gold standard on the tugs I worked if you have to have something mainstream though.

9. rdr

rdr Active Member

thanks I will look in to the racor as it will be handle the psi and gpm and the price is good don't care about legal

10. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Lantraxco went where I was headed. Should work out well once you source the parts.

11. rdr

rdr Active Member

junkyard there is a dealer in Tulsa next time I go to kencool sorry [wb ] to get ac supplys I will check them . as of late I just have them ship up to us thanks ron

12. rdr

rdr Active Member

lantraxco thanks for the tip napa got me the parts all done for $ 87.00 base and filter