• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1974 Versalift boom truck

N4NV

I just picked up a 1974 Versalift BV 24 G boom truck. The control valve assembly is not working even after having my local hydraulic shop overhaul it. It leaks more than when I took it in and two of the valves only work in one direction. I don't want to take it back to them. Does someone know where I could send it to get it serviced and tested? When I brought it home from my local shop I tested it and all 3 valves worked in both direction, but once installed I get the problems above.
Thanks,

Vince

Versalift valve assembly.jpg

Lsaconroe87

Where exactly does it leak from? Also, one reason these control valves leak is due to incorrect seals. Now if it leaks spools, then you would have to replace the spools.

N4NV

It is leaking at the ends by the springs. Supposedly all the seals were replaced. Where would I get replacement spools?

N4NV

Thanks for the link. That would be a little pricy if I replaced all three. I was hoping I could find a place that could overhaul it.

Lsaconroe87

Well you can try calling Versalift southwest in Waco, Tx. If you have the Serial Number they can more than likely get the seals for you. Its not to difficult to do them your self. Just ask them for the tear down procedure and they can email it to you.

N4NV

I called Versalift. They said there documentation does not go back that far. The gentleman I talked with said to make sure any valves I purchase that the spools are pressure to tank and A&B are blocked in the rest position, or you will blow up your gear pump, whatever that means.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, let's take a stab at it. Yes, Versalift guy is likely correct, most manufacturers now days don't support product that goes back X number of years, there's not enough of those models still out there for them to support parts on their shelf that never move, obsolete. Second, if i's leaking at the ends of the solenoids where those red manual operation buttons are located, likely true there is no fix, many of those solenoids are not serviceable requiring replacement. And what the Versalift gentleman was referring to is what's known as "open center" valves. Typically, gear pumps and other positive displacement pumps require open center valves whereas variable displacement pumps (hydrostat) use closed center valves. If no replacement valves are available from Versalift then I suggest you take your assembly to a local hydraulic pump shop and have them source a suitable replacement valve stack. They should have the experience to source what you need. And yes, it's going to cost you some coin. But it will be money well spent if you wish to get the unit going. If you try to wing it and find what you need you'll end up contemplating commiting suicide trying to match up something that will work. Nope, not worth the hassle, go to someone who does this stuff daily. Only thing I can add, those red manual push buttons on the ends of the solenoids, that's a must on your machine and a must on any replacement, those push buttons is how you manually work the boom functions to get a man down if the electrical system goes south.