• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis grader

1953 D9

I need some information on a Fial Allis, 150c double axel drive grader Trans axel. It was coming down a slight grade and huge amounts of smoke were coming out of the Differential dip stick hole. The oil is full and not burned. Any ideas?

davejo

Any chance you see steam instead of smoke? Drain the diff to see if its full of water. If there is a bad bearing somewhere getting hot enough to cause the oil to smoke, an infrared gun or your hand should find the hotspot on the axle.

Out of curiosity, why didnt you post this question in "motor graders" forum?

1953 D9

I thought I did post it on Motor Graders. I am new to the forum. It was definitely smoke, lots of it. the engine turns very slow as if the trans is bound up. It belongs to a rancher friend of mine and he knows very little about the machine. He is a very good mechanic, but is unfamilar with the AC 150C. The trans is integral to the differential. I have a feeling the trans has a locked up bearing. It may now be a parts grader. Located in Hotchkiss, Colorado.