• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zx160 LC weak hydraulics with new pump

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The only thing I have left (for performance, not overheating) is the speed sensor. Has that been checked for accuracy? An erroneous reading could fool the PVC into thinking the engine is pulling down too far and then the PVC activates the torque control solenoid destroking the pumps. Or the torque control solenoid is bad allowing destroke of the pumps. Other than that you need to get your Hitachi guy back out there. Something was missed on the original diagnostics.

Huffa

If the torque solenoid was disconnected would that give me a true idea of how its performing at full revs and load?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
You can try it. That will prevent it from activating electrically, but if the spool inside is stuck it will not change anything.

Huffa

Ok. We did swap the solenoid over with a spare from another function that is not in service, made no difference

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sorry Huffa, that's all I have. Time to get the Hitachi guy back out.

Huffa

Hey I appreciate all the input. Surely I cant be the only guy on the planet thats had this happen to a 160! Yea Hitachi guy coming back soon but hes basically out of ideas

Vetech63

Hey I appreciate all the input. Surely I cant be the only guy on the planet thats had this happen to a 160! Yea Hitachi guy coming back soon but hes basically out of ideas
This time have your Hitachi guy give you hard data and start with your engine performance 1st. The more specific data you can provide the easier this will be to troubleshoot. We need high idle rpm, hydraulic stall and full stall rpms, specific pressure reading numbers.....and preferably, for me anyways,....in US standard. LOL

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This time have your Hitachi guy give you hard data and start with your engine performance 1st. The more specific data you can provide the easier this will be to troubleshoot. We need high idle rpm, hydraulic stall and full stall rpms, specific pressure reading numbers.....and preferably, for me anyways,....in US standard. LOL
I've been reading along with this thread and was thinking along the same lines. My comment to the Hitachi tech would be along the lines of - if everything with the engine is allegedly "OK" or "within spec" then give me some numbers FFS...…..!!

Vetech63

I've been reading along with this thread and was thinking along the same lines. My comment to the Hitachi tech would be along the lines of - if everything with the engine is allegedly "OK" or "within spec" then give me some numbers FFS...…..!!
Yeah, I've been in this business long enough to know that every time I assume something, it bites me in the ass. Just because something is working doesn't mean it is working properly. Without hard numbers this is all just a crapshoot.

Vetech63

Will do thanks
I suggest starting all over from the beginning. I'll bet (since this has been going on for 2 years) that you and your tech have gotten tunnel vision and are overlooking something...……..yes, we all have done it so don't feel bad.

Start with your engine first! It is the power that drives your hydraulic system and weak performance will directly effect your hydraulics. Register full high idle rpms and do they meet the manufacturers specs? Hydraulic stall specs? Full stall if applicable? When under stall, do you see exhaust smoke? What color is it? does it seem excessive? Can your hear the turbocharger wind up? Until all of your engine parameters are met, you are wasting your time testing anything hydraulically.

If the engine checks out, then move to the hydraulic portion and start with your pump system. The pump not only creates pressure, but creates flow. Is your hydraulics slow?...or no power?....or both? Run the machine through each function and take notice as to whether there are any noises? Do all the functions have the same symptom? Are they all slow with no power?.....or do other functions seem normal and others dont?
Although a main pressure test may see relief pressure, your flow may be down which would cause the hydraulics to be slow. Does the main pressure relief meet specs? What is the pressure reading? Is the main pressure reading the same with each function? Is there any unusual noises when the relief is open (outside of the normal sound of a relief)? The best way to determine pump condition would be the use of a flow meter. Your Hitachi guy should have one, and should have all the specs for the pump.................I would do this FIRST thing Hydraulically. If you dont, the system could have you chasing your tail.

If your pump checks out, then its control valve time. Check the above engine and pump out. If those check out with real data info posted here, then we can move on to more troubleshooting.

There is plenty of knowlege here to help you get most problems figured out........But we need real and specific data and information to get anywhere.

Huffa

Thank you guys. The technician is coming to take function cycle speeds. Something to do with product support requirement. Just to recap re engine, with the hydraulic pump set to the factory specs the engine pulls the correct revs under load 2150-2200rpm I think it is in H/P mode. So if it's pulling the correct revs with full load how could it be an engine/power issue? The engine doesn't sound like its working hard, it's like the pump isn't loading it up fully. They have flow tested the pump twice, that was on the old pump and it pissed in, new pump hasn't been flowed. I'll try and get some hard data from the technician

Scotthitchens

I had similar problems with my komatsu 150-6 I tried everything, finally I put a new main relief valve in and it runs like brand new! Worth a shot!

Huffa

Far out! I have questioned the main relief to them from the start. They tell me they have checked it and its good, but can you actually test them properly or do you just have to replace it to be sure? How did you come to the conclusion with yours?

Scotthitchens

I pulled mine out when I first started having problems but all looked good and clean to me, even though I didn’t really know what I was looking at so I tried all kinds of things to try to fix my problems new hydro oil, new turbo, new solenoids and so on with no luck at all, so finally I said what the hell i will buy a new main relief valve and so I put it in and the machine has ran like new since ! I couldn’t believe it! I’m not saying it’s your problem but for the cost it’s worth a shot I think I paid like $250 for mine and man I wish I would of tried it first because it would have saved me lots of time and money!

Scotthitchens

Yeah it was definitely getting warm I never made note of actual temp but it was well above what it should of been, seeing that you replaced the pump and all major components I couldn’t see what else it would be other than the main relief