• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zip Tie Tips & Tricks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
One of those simple every day consumables we all wished we invented!
So many ways to use them - what do you do with them that is out of the ordinary?

Here's one - Skid Steer drive chain joining link tool

Attachments

• 40xt zip tie.jpg
    40xt zip tie.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3,985

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Not bad ATCO, 12 mins to reply complete with a picture as well! :notworthy :drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LMAO, I just noticed I placed that spring next to the "Danger - Avoid Death" decal. Bah ha hahahaha :lmao

mitch504

I just use them for everything I can't find the right hardware for. They are one of the handiest things ever invented.

Dualie

used the for everything from holding a fake tail on a horse to compressing springs, holding drive shafts on trucks after the been removed for towing, they one one of the more handy inventions. Buy them 1000 at a time from the local supply house.

Lee-online

You'd fail scrutineering Lee - the R-Clip (lockwired as well of course) is missing out of the rear axle nut ....... :D:D:D

Nice sticky Metzeler Racetec M3's on it as well. What is it..?

Of course the R clip is out, I was installing a new chain and sprockets. Once the chain is connected then the tension can be adjusted and the axle nut torqued to 80 ftlbs. That was my GSXR750 before a nasty high side totaled it.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
They make great boot laces in a pinch. Also work good when you forget your belt. And for some of use, we need heavy equipment to hold our pants up :)

InsleyGuy

I bought a cannister of assorted colors and sizes to keep on hand for color coding multiple hydraulic lines. Oil won't hurt them and they stay on forever. We used to change attachments on a hydro-axe once in a while..could never remember which line went where.

Wick

Occupation
Heavy vehicle mechanic/engineer
Very handy to hold together a rose joint or ball end on various machine linkages to keep em going until a replacement can be obtained - throttle linkages etc, same as a bit of "cocky" wire but more flexible. also as emergency hose clamps on low pressure applications.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have had some so long that they are getting brittle and crack and break when you bend them.They are made out of grey material whatever it may be.Ron G

OldandWorn

Wow...so many uses over the years but no pictures. If you are using them outdoors for a permanent installation make sure you use the black ones as they are UV resistant.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have one holding the windshield wiper linkage together on my old '83 Dodge pickup and ran it for years that way.It is still holding and has outlasted the grommets that the Dodge dealer sells to fix it.Ron G

Randy88

Don't forget to get the ones that you can take apart and reuse, some days they are worth their weight in gold, the cheap ones don't work as well to take back apart as the better ones with the little tab on them. The only thing more usefull than zip ties is tile tape, way better than duct tape, it won't rot or decay in the elements, if I'd have invented that stuff, I could be sipping mixed drinks on a warm beach right now instead of working for a living in the cold and soon to be snow.