1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

ZF Trans Oil in Hyundai HL740TM-3

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by VKC, Sep 22, 2020.

1. VKC

VKC Member

Hey folks-

I bought a 2002 Hyundai HL740TM-3. The book calls for Dexron II, but the oil in the trans appears to be multi-weight engine oil, maybe like 5W40. One of my older mechs said that an outfit that he worked for used engine oil in their Terex trucks with the ZF trans. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician

Attached Files:

Vetech63 likes this.
  3. VKC

VKC Member

Hey mg2361-

Many thanks for the ZF info. It's much appreciated.
    If you wouldn't mind I would like to ask another question.
    In my 2002 Hyundai HL740TM-3 I have no 2nd gear (forward or reverse); it was that way when I bought it.

I checked the pressures on the trans valve and 1st and 3rd gear are showing around 16 bar. 2nd gear is zero. Sometimes the machine starts to move in 2nd and then the computer kicks it out.

Some of the advise guys are talking about individual solenoids for each gear (supposedly located on the torque converter). I can't find any. Are they there?
    When you are running in 1st or 3rd and shift to 2nd the machine coasts to a stop. No moving until you shift to another gear and change direction.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks much

4. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

I have no clue on anything Hyundai. Can you post a picture of your transmission serial plate? Also a picture of the shifter in the cab as well as the transmission control valve. That information might help. There are a couple a guys here that know ZF pretty well.

5. VKC

VKC Member

Much appreciated. I will get the info together and post it. Won't be able to get it until next week, but I'm excited to have the help. Thanks much.

6. VKC

VKC Member

Thanks much.
    I was able to get a shot of the trans control valve and a stamped number.

Attached Files:

7. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Looks like a WG150. First thing I would check is if you are getting voltage to your transmission control solenoids. Maybe your FNR is defective??

Vetech63 likes this.
  8. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Looks like the same transmission in alot of Case loaders. Its more than likely a wiring/ solenoid problem. That FNR could be an issue also as MG said above.

mg2361 likes this.
  9. VKC

VKC Member

Thanks, The issue that I'm having is that I can't find the transmission solenoids. Hte to sound dumb (I am), but what/ where is the FNR?

10. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

The FNR is your shifter. The solenoids are inside the transmission control valve.

Trans Solenoids.png

11. VKC

VKC Member

Wow. Thanks. I apologize for being a moron.
    I think I've got now.
    Thank you for the great help. It's much appreciated.

mg2361 and Vetech63 like this.
  12. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

No apology needed my friend. We love morons around here! LOL

mg2361 likes this.