1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Zf backlash on case loader

Discussion in 'Wheel Loaders' started by Midnightmoon, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Midnightmoon

Midnightmoon Senior Member

Having a problem with the etched backlash in ring gear. Axle is a zf mt l3085 dk. Backlash is etched in ring gear problem is I dont understand it. Reads ? 20211109_115603.jpg o86 but who knows. . .086mm seems tight 20211109_115603.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

8 and 6 are clear enough. Is the first "digit" a German 1, and the second either a sloppy 0 or a symbol that means "between" so between 1 and .86 mm? but 1 mm seems high. Doesn't seem like a German would etch such a sloppy 0.

3. Midnightmoon

Or do you read it 980v

4. Midnightmoon

Talked to a zf tech the number is 1086 and is the backlash number yet being an old unit he wasn't sure what it ment and said to go with 8 to 10 thousandths. I still wonder what 1086 could be in metric. The upside down v is a one in German and it's why there is a line through a 7.

5. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Does the pinion have the same number? They usually do to show they are a matched set. On a ZF, the numbers that matter are usually stamped in the end of the pinion and on the housing for pinion depth and those numbers generally appear something like this: 88,0 on the pinion and 119,80 on the axle housing. Once the pinion depth is checked then backlash is a function of just moving the ring gear and that spec is in a manual, not stamped on the ring gear. Most axles would be around .007" - .015" I would imagine. Then tooth pattern also needs to be checked with Prussian Blue.

DB2, BigWrench55 and Vetech63 like this.
  6. Midnightmoon

Case manual and zf manual send you to etching in ring gear for backlash. I set it at 9thousandths and checked pattern. No number on pinion

Vetech63 and mg2361 like this.