• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zeroing the Slew Angle on a Grove 700E

Savage

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We have a problem with our Grove 700E 60T. I'm in Iraq working and I have had this problem with my crane for almost a year now. It kinda hard to ignore traveling all over base with the rear axle kicked to one side.
The rear axle was staying locked. After many unsuccessful attempts. We looke in the PAT LMI and it is not recognizing slew movement and it is stuck over the front left corner. The LMI reading that is. The question is. How do I center the LMI. Or Release the rear axle. We are not allowed to do lift on rubber so it doesn't matter If the rear axle stays free.

Any info will be very helpful

cranetools

Occupation
Crane Service Engineer/Troubleshooter - Web master
I suggest that you look at the inside of the rotation bearing area as there may be what is known as a definition switch or switches that will locate the area of the superstructure of the crane in relation to the chassis - thereby determing over the front, rear or wherever. It may also be possible that there is a rotation indicator that follows the swing of the house (upper) and electronically locates the position of the house.
In either case you will have to locate the physical switches or device that tells the system where the swing is and then try to remove or change the position of this device to see if this makes a difference.
If this does not help and you cannot change the area that is recognized by the system then it may be possible that the board or chip is locked up and this may mean a new motherboard or new chip set.
As far as the rear steer and the repositioning of the rear axles you would have to examine the circuit drawing and then determine from this how best to troubleshoot or center the axles - have you removed the hoses from the steer cylinders and physically centered the axles?
Check my web site www.cranetools.com it is a site that I think you need

Savage

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thank you. That what I've been looking for on the slew, but no luck yet.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you on the Axles but I'm not talking about centering the tires (steering). I'm refering to the side to side articulation. But If that is what you meant, Yes they have remove the hoses going to the cylinders and levele the axles. But as soon as you go over uneven ground it locks to on side. Reading in the manuel, it will do that if it is +/- 3 degrees from center. And the LMI is reading off center at 23.6 degrees when it is centered and pinned. This is how I have come to this conclusion.

But I will continue to look for a sensor on the insie of the slew ring, because I have found nothing on the outside. Unless it reads the amount of fluid passing some electrical connections. Looks like sensors.

Thank you for your response

heavylift

I think we had a similar thread earlier in the year about slew sensors... I think there are two sensors... And there may have been a picture. I searched for slew but didn't come up with anything.... I will check some more later.

cranetools

Occupation
In regard to the axle oscillation I think there is a hydraulic valve associated with this function. Perhaps the spool in the valve cannot or will not center perhaps a broken spring or a bad input that is causing the valve to not function as it should.
THere may also be a hydraulic accumulator as well in this circuit - if that is the case then the accumulator should have the pre-charge checked.

cranetools

Occupation
Service manual for PAT IFLex 5 system

I think in regard to the swing problem not zero over the front you need to go to my web site www.cranetools.com and on the home page left hand side you will find Industry Information scroll down this column until you see LMI Safety Systems and then click on here. There you will find a link to the PAT Iflex 5 Service manual. In thins manual there is information about how to re-zero the slew (swing) as well as other troubleshooting information about the slewing system settings.
AS far as the location of the swing switches or definition indicator the manual says it is located inside of the electrical swivel in the center of the crane (hydraulic swivel area) THey use a potentiometer to locate the slewing area.
THe manual is very good - at www.cranetools.com you can find many useful articles about crane repair and use.
Save it to your favorites I am building this site daily for some time now perhaps the most useful site for the crane industry especially if you need to fix a crane.

crane operator

The slew indicator is a potentiometer. In the center of the ring gear is your hydraulic/electrical swivel. It should be covered with a silver cap. Pull the cap off and on the very top will be a round blue (2" diameter) metal thing with around 4-5 wires coming to it with a snap plug. Its held on by 1-2 allen screws. You will need a whole new one, its not fixable, and you just replace that with the new one. What happens is that as the swivel turns, it changes the current through the blue box (potentiometer) and that sends the signal to the computer and locks the axle oscillater. If you can't get the parts over there, you should be able to locate the electrical solenoid that controlls the bypass for the axle lockout. Follow the hydraulic lines from the axle cylinder and it should come to a hydraulic valve with a little black box with two wires coming to it. The axle lockout just actuates that valve, unlocking it when you're over the front for travel, and locking it for rubber picks. You could just wire around that switch (this is only temporary/ and only if you really know what you're doing), adding or removing power to get the axle to unlock.

Savage

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thank you for all the advice. I will go to the website first and see what I can come up with. And yes it is hard to get parts over here, at least 3 months and thats fast.

Savage

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I will and I told our machanics about this site and yours. So yall might get more question. Thank you again