• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zaxis 70 fast tracks

SMR

Hi all. Replacing some undercarrige on a Zaxis 70 today and just noticed the tracks are very fast in both the high and low is there any way of adjusting this? what does flicking from hare to tortise actually do just let the spools travel further? There is no problems with pumps or anything else it digs fine and all other functions nice speed would just like to slow down the tracks a touch.

lantraxco

Typically changing from low to high speed with the switch causes a solenoid valve to send pressure to both track motors through a small line, this shifts a valve inside the motors and the swash plate moves changing motor displacement, more revs for the same amount of oil.

Easiest suggestion: if the tracks are too fast, throttle the engine down. If that machine has pilot controls for the tracks you could probably have the control plungers shimmed to limit pilot pressure to the spools, or possibly you could have the spools themselves shimmed for travel, seems like a lot of bother though.

SMR

Thanks for your reply. If i limit the travel of the pilot spools would it also weaken the tracks aswell as slowing them down? It is not my machine that is the only reason i ask if it wer my own i would just take it a bit easier and save the bother ha

lantraxco

I shouldn't think so, speed is a function of flow, power is a function of pump pressure. Silly thought, just glue or bolt some rubber stops under the pedals?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer