• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zaxis 135su service

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
We got a new ZX135US this summer and I did the first service on it today.

http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/au/products/excavator/medium/zx135us-3/feature_5.html

This is what Hitachi says: "The ZAXIS-3 series meet customer demands for simplified maintenance....Wide doors give access, from ground level, to the fuel filter, water separator and engine oil filter."

To put it politely, it's missleading. Access doors on the old Zaxis are bigger and the compartments are more roomy. On the 135 there is no water separator so to speak, there is primary canister with a clear plastic drain bowl and a paper element. Same with the secondary.

Luckily the machine came with the "special" wrench to remove the plastic bowls. They are a Pita ( I wish we could swear on HEF because I have a few more choice words I'd like to use on this) to remove because there isn't much room to use the wrench.

One good thing is the solenoid pump will fill the filters to bleed them but I used the hand pump too just in case. No problems there. The thing is, on the older Zaxis it only took a few minutes to change and bleed the spin on filter.

Now the oil filter. Again there's little room for the ring wrench which that fits on the bottom of the filter. Once again, it appears that they like to put the filters on with a wrench at the factory. Last time I had to use a chain wrench. This time a half inch breaker bar just twisted the wrench. Had to stick a cheater bar between the legs of wrench and it still put up a fight. At least the oil doesn't flow out when you loosen the filter but you're still going to spill.

The drain valve on the oil pan is kind of cool but it has fine threads and you have to be careful when attaching the drain hose or putting the cap back on. The drain is also at an angle, not straight down like the picture.

There is no evidence of shortened intervals except for the hydraulic oil change.

End of rant-

cutting edge

Ain't that fun?

It seems that Hitachi oil filter base o rings like to swell up or something and lock the filter on good n tight. I cover Em in lubriplate on install.

I actually wrecked my back trying to get an oil filter off a 225 once.

pf/l

Occupation
Farmer/logger/heavy equipment op.
Done our 270 zaxis-3 once so far and thought it wasn't to bad. Course it had been done a few times by then when we got it. Got a bit of a sticker shock when we went to buy the tool for taking off the fuel filters though. If I remember right it was something like 80 dollars and that special hose attachment was around that too. Came in a isuzu bag so I guess that justifies it.:mad:

Probably a bit more room on the larger machines so that maybe made a difference too.

Ryan

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Is there some kind of bypass on the secondary filter head? The book says nothing about opening the bleed screw on the secondary. It just says leave the key on for 3 minutes and let the pump do the work. That's a lot of air between the two and it has to go somewhere? (On the old Zaxis you could hear the hand pump bypass)

pf/l

Occupation
Farmer/logger/heavy equipment op.
On ours there's a place to put a hose on, on the secondary filter if I remember correctly. Crack it open turn the key on and wait for fuel. Fuel comes out the hose turn the bleeder off and turn the key off.

Was going to add we use Donaldson or fleetguard filters threwout Dealer is selling Donaldson over isuzu/hitachi. In the hitachi add you can see fleetguard filters on the machine that they're showing off.

Ryan

Last edited: