• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Lowboy Pictures Wanted

JDOFMEMI

Pete!

You should have bought a lottery ticket. It was your lucky day that it did not break all the way through and unload you in the middle of the "road". I can't believe it cracked that far and did not break the rest of the way, especially with a pretty good load on it.

Good luck with Cal Trans. It must have been their crew that left the bumps, as you know a contractor can't get away with leaving a mess like that.

D4E SA

I had a 16 tire Cozad broke at the same place. I was hauling a 583 side boom,luckly I had stopped shortly after I had loaded it to weigh it. When I walked behind the trailer while on the scale I noticed one side of the expando was hiked up on one side.I was lucky as I was heading the San Jose.

Dualie

That could have gotten real bad REAL quick. thats going to be a fun one to fix$$$$

I'm going to blame a bad welding detail on that inner runner. the edges of the weld should have been flared out to make a sort of open <. created a big stress riser right where the weld terminated.

pretty scary the only thing holding that together was the pad eye for the D ring.

Last edited:

Oxbow

I'm guessing that the cracking may have started a while ago. It looks like the crack may follow the D ring pad round the right side, and that there is a small rust trail coming from it.

Either way, it's good you saw it before disaster struck Pete.

Hauled this back to Cat Friday:
IMG_20130726_082941.jpg

D4E SA

I had another issue with that same trailer,hooked to a 16 tire jeep.I had loaded a 235 Cat excavator, when I went to chain the right front track to the long neck,it was sagging down on the right side. Looked around the pin that holds the long neck to the trailer was broke at the weld.

Dualie

Everyone i have ever known that had "beef" with granite never had a problem getting it settled. Let us know what the grand total is for getting the wagon fixed.

Emoney81

Cat 350 Murray 10 wide 7 axel

Fixed 10 wide Murray 7 Axel w/ 26 foot deck. Cat 350 @ Stanford University. First load on new set up.

Attachments

• Cat 350 1.jpg
    Cat 350 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,822
  • Cat 350 - Copy (2).jpg
    Cat 350 - Copy (2).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,690
  • IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0334.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,691

JDOFMEMI

That looks like a nice trailer for off road work. It sure plays havoc on your loaded height though.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Yeah, its a 225D. Judging from the stamping on the hydraulic cylinders a '91 model. Moved it for a friend. With a little bit of work I think it'd make a pretty nice hoe really, doesn't seem worn out. First time i've been on a 225 in 23 years, was kinda interesting to load. It was just like the one we used to have... won't track straight without holding the steering lever over a little...
The trailer is borrowed, but I'd like to have it. It's a 2001 model Atoka. It's perfect for our Komatsu hoe. If I was to get it, I'd lower my fifth wheel back down. I raised it 4", for ground clearance with my folding neck 3 axle. If it was normal height, the Komatsu hoe would be just a shade under 14' on it.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Here's a Cat rock truck I moved last week.
Below that......um...
the 2014 pos Peterbilt heavy haul that th boss was forced into buying.

ps... thanks carb
hope you choke on a chicken bone.

20130813_181322_zps9192a821.jpg20130818_165316_zps7810174e.jpg20130816_144848_zps2cc73f88.jpg20130816_145326_zps102d25a8.jpg20130816_184919_zps9b513a04.jpg

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Right side of the truck is where the contraption is thats supposed to make the world a better place to live in.
Under the passenger seat is the battery box.
There's no room for it outside so inside the cab it goes.

Overall, I'm glad it wasn't me spending $ on one of these new trucks.
The ride is fine and the AC works well...other than that, pure crap.

20130818_165210_zps3dcafa90.jpg20130818_165113_zps6d9edeb9.jpg

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Would a KW been a better choice? Trying to find myself a newer rig, as the boss man wants to get me a better truck.

Got some specs for a few, with batteries under the seat. I don't get why they don't put them between the frame rails. My current truck that's where they are located.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Would a KW been a better choice? Trying to find myself a newer rig, as the boss man wants to get me a better truck.

Got some specs for a few, with batteries under the seat. I don't get why they don't put them between the frame rails. My current truck that's where they are located.

I was in a 05 KW that was perfect for the job.
With only 260,000 original miles its only issue was CARB related.
As for the batteries in the cab?
I think it's a heat issue and the limited or lack of space.
This truck runs so damned hot that you will singe the hairs off of your sack if you wet a tire on the right side.