• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your first piece of equipment owned or operated was?

dozer12216

Occupation
Currentlly clearing some 50 acres for farmland.
First I rented a small 10,000 # excavator and learned to clear ditches. By the time ditch was cleaned, I was determined to own some big toys. Started with a Hein Warner C 14a that was badly used. Then acquired a D8H dozer that was also well used. Learned to use on my own. Both accomplished what was needed. Cleaned/cleared several acres of ground and 3 plus miles of drainage ditches several times. It was a good learning experience on both. Both pieces got drowned two times and were brought back to life each time. Everything sort of still worked when sold last year. The dozer had probablly 2 feet of slop in blade two foot high and rubbed the tracks some. Tranny still shifted and started by jumping solenoid on starter. The unfixed exhaust leak really killed it power wise at the end. The front idlers and all rollers were worn out on Hein Warner when acquired and only got worse. When sold, one idler was not functional and pumps marginal. The hydraulic leaks kept my busy and caused several pump failures. Still remember fighting the floor pan to get to track drive hoses, while swimming in 70 gallons of lost fluid. I remember the bucket, stick, and boom cylinders were super strong for it's weight. It could take down tress the Hitachi EX 270 has trouble with now.
Oil leaks were not fixed until exceeded 5 gallons per hour. I had a very good supply of Witches oil (unknown mix but mostly 15-40 at 50 cents a gallon) that worked good enough.

multe

i first ran my dads cat d3 when i was a kid but never spent much time in it. He got a cat 267 mtl when they first came out. i learned alot on that thing and ended up buying a 267b for my first machine.

lodgey

1949 cat d7 3t just parked it when i was 10 but sadly i still havent fully bean taught how to run a dozer fully but im good with a mini exivator after 1/2 or so hours running one

Is that so, why didn't you try to learn that bud. I bet that you may learn very well. I remember my learning days when i was getting trained and the time was like one of my memorable moments. I always like to learn new things and heavy equipment was one of my choice so i took the heavy machinery equipment diploma certificate from Ontario.

GMG

Occupation
retired
Inter T6 when I was 14 how hard can it be, I soon learned
D4 Trackscavator taught me never to let my knuckles brush the spark plug when trying to get to the coke in a hurry and push it in before the pony choked and died
I have picked myself up out of the mud several times.
I have a lot of respect for the magneto's on those motors they can make light up a city
Cheers GMG

Xvator

Occupation
grading landscape contractor
The first machine I bought was a 1983 JD 655 hydrostatic track loader wi/4 in 1 bucket. Man that baby was fast and sweet to run.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
My uncle let me run a Ford 9N chasing the hay baler when I was 8 or 9. I'd start it in gear since I couldn't push in the clutch. First equipment to get paid on was a brand spanking new late 70's International TD7.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Drove a D2 as a kid and in 1966 at 14 years of age my cousin and I graduated in the equipment world, me to a 2U-D8 and him to a 3T-D7 both with cable scrapers. They were owned by his dad, my uncle. We buried 55 gal. barrels of goo daily from 3M for the entire summer school break. For the last 25 years the site has been high fenced off and is a no access superfund site. They had a permit to dump back then but it had to buried each day before we went home.

1466IH

Oliver 88 gasser with a feed grinder when i was about 5 or 6 and first for pay was a neighbors IH1086 with a disc then bough my first was an IH1466. First piece of construction equip was a Case580K

Yamaha

My first equipment I bought is a couple days ago...1976 Mf 50a Backhoe. Just for working around my proprety and pulling tree stump:)
Never drove one before, i'm getting it tomorrow :thumbup:

NdgnusTxn

Caterpillar D6 9U series, C frame blade, pony motor start. I was loading it on a Vulcan 35ton low deck trailer and did not know to drop the rpm's as the tractor is about to break over the dovetail. I ended up with one track on the trailer and the other on the ground. I just swapped the direction and drove it back onto solid ground and backed it on the next time at only an idle.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
First machine I operated was an old R35 Euclid end dump. This was in 1969, at a ferroalloy furnace plant in Ohio. I was 19, and working during college summer vacation. No training period at all on it. The foreman just asked me if I could operate it. I said "Sure, no problem". It was quite an experience and I was lucky I did not run over anyone or anything that first time out.
Jeff

attaboy

'52 Ford 8N

First piece was a 1952 Ford 8N .. had a stuck valve .. $800 cash and carry. Ain't nothing sweeter with a Fresno blade for final grooming. Machined in a water temp port while I had her down, converted to 12 volts and spin-on oil filter. Oldest piece is a 1950 Austin-Western Supper 88H, re-engined with a DD 3-71. Cheers!

attaboy

"This operator has me beat on age:

http://static.video.qq.com/TPout.swf...id=r010673xh67" from post 233

Grandson just turned 3 .. guess he's gotta wait a couple years. No Tonka Toys for this young lad :)

Last edited:

CatToy

The first piece I operated was a JD skidder when I was 9. My grandfather owned a logging company in the 70's and he would do maintenance on equipment Sunday mornings and take me with him. Seeing I was usually bored and throwing rocks at everything, he started up one of the skidders and put it in gear and told me to check the road for any trees that had fell across the road after we got there. Of course no trees had fallen but I sure checked ever foot of that 20 mile dirt road. I have been hooked ever since but the first I owned was a old Cat D9e my grandfather left me in a will.