• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your first piece of equipment owned or operated was?

CatGrader

Occupation
Grader Operator
A shovel when I was a kid working for my father. his word's i still remember. "your going to learn how to drive that first before you drive my machines". True Story.

qwertyu

my first piece of equipment was a 955 track loader still runs good but was replaced by excavators they are much more efficent

1stkom

Occupation
firefighter
Dec.of 2010 I bought a 1974 Komatsu D20s-3 track loader in decent shape. Only put on maybe 40 hours so far but am loving it. Other than some regular grease and, next, some adjustments on the track, it has run like a charm. Can't wait for the spring to fire her up after sitting at the cottage all winter.

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
The little D2 in the picture was my first dozer. Back in the day it had an "S" blade (it has an angle blade now) and no winch and was the most miserable SOB thing in the world to run. Still is, matter of fact. :drinkup

That D2 looks like it should be a Christmas stocking stuffer. Great looking machine...

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
First thing I ever got to run doesn't seem like much compared to previous stories. I was working for a contractor assembling shelving and store fixtures for CVS pharmacy. I got to run a small forklift to unload the semi that delivered all the materials for that particular job. Once I had my butt in the seat, hands on the sticks and saw those shiny cylinders going in and out .....I was hooked!

TCS

My first piece was an International Harvester TD-18 with a Drott Skid Shovel.

lowbed driver

In 1975 at the age of 7 I was allowed to run a 931 for a while moving some dirt and brush. Then for our lake property we got an old Bobcat 1966ish 444 I believe. Got to move a 950 back and forth between the pit and dump site at 14.
First machine I got paid to run was pushing snow with a Fiat Allis 645 and then up to a 966C, which I have spent thousands of hours on.
Stew

22a

Started out on farm tractors then to a 955H, 933, & Case 850, loaders, First Dozer was a Cat D8H Direct Drive which I ran for six years.
Owned a D46U and a Britstand trailing ripper for about 2 years. Have a Fordson fitted with a CRANVEL loader that I'm restoring at the moment.

pjflyer

Case 580c backhoe. Working for a construction company, the regular guy was sick, I was the only volunteer.

toomanymachines

1951 allis-chalmers wd. I was about 5 or 6 years old. I use to clear the yard of snow. we had a small blade on the front, had one way hydraulics and a hand clutch as well as the foot clutch. The hand clutch made it work for me because there was no way I was going to reach that foot clutch. Dad would be working changing tires in the shop, while I was outside pushing snow.. How things have changed. I don't think I would trust my 7 year old with that, my 11 year old, sure.

buckfever

The first i remember was running my dads primemover 1300 skid-loader around 1988-1989. Dad told me I sat on his lap before that and pulled levers on a 977 before that. Don't own anything myself, work full time for dad throwing dirt for him.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
The first piece of equipment I ever operated was a John Deere 1010 dozer when I was 7 years old. Good memories.....:drinkup