• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your dozer photos

crane operator

Thought this was a interesting auction today. Purplewave is a online auction site that I watch, I thought the difference in years and what they brought $ wise was interesting.

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/170928/item/DB6448

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/170928/item/DC5994

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/170928/item/DB3481

D7f - with supposedly only 193 hrs- (military according to the listing)- $42,900
D7g 11,000hrs- $31,350
D7H 20,000hrs high track- $33,000

for a big spread in years, didn't mean such a big difference in $,

The H has a pretty worn undercarriage, but what would the difference in years be between these?

DB6448.JPG

DC5994.JPG

DB3481.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
May be later hour meter but that machine was Clean! Been repainted, rails appear new or almost new, never been abused.

TimT

Occupation
Heavy Construction driver/operator
My new toy in my side yard.... 1975 IH TD-25C, Nice big machine for fun. Thats the boss on the machine in the second pic.... Seriously, that dog/Boss LOVES big machinery.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a34.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a34.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4016.JPG
    IMG_4016.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 58

td25c

Yeah Tim , a 25C works great for landscaping projects around the home .

Knock out trees pretty fast & build a pond in the back yard . :D

Truck Shop

This one sets not far from my house still runs just left it where it was last used 14A wet clutch.

Truck Shop

005.JPG 006.JPG

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My new toy in my side yard.... 1975 IH TD-25C, Nice big machine for fun. Thats the boss on the machine in the second pic.... Seriously, that dog/Boss LOVES big machinery.

Growing up in the 60's there weren't any excavators in very rural VT. Loggers had very little dozers. The first TD25 was astounding how big it was. I still want one, but that would make no sense at all.

Charlie Abbott of Wilton CT told a great story of a huge snowstorm that brought the city to its knees. Pushing 30odd inches of heavy wet snow, it developed into a massive snowball. He could roll it, but it only grew in size. Then the inevitable happened; it rolled down hill. This thing weighing many tons, magically missed important things and mercifully rolled past a house into the woods behind. Said his heart was beating like a trip hammer.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician

TimT

Occupation
Yeah Tim , a 25C works great for landscaping projects around the home .

Knock out trees pretty fast & build a pond in the back yard . :D
Yeah, I NEED the 25 for one thing... The pleasure of having one. I have a 1979 JD 450-C that I bought last year and its a great machine. I have a new New Holland Boomer41 tractor/loader and a new E27B mini excavator with thumb. Those machines do all the stuff around here that I could ever want to do. Clearing brush, cleaning up the old farm yard, some demolition of buildings, odd jobs for neighbors and friends...and I do have a pond already, but t needs a clean out bad.The 25 might help with that. Truly the big dozer is a toy to enjoy...However....I do have a few projects in mind, and so do my neighbors!! It will get used for a few things for sure.

TimT

Occupation
I'm curious, the blade is lifted by a winch I presume powers from the front of the crank shaft. Is that a ripper in rear? Is there a second winch, or is there also hydraulics for that?
Yes, it could have a cable control unit on the rear, but it also could have a hydraulic ripper frame. More likely hydraulic on this machine. Caterpillar made several cable control units for its machines, both front mounted and rear. Before that others supplied them for many makes of machines.Its a whole history on its own.
Some had overhead frames that could carry the cable from the rear mounted unit over the top to the front blocks to lift the blade, some had a tube running along the side of the tractor to do this in later models, while others were used to control towed scrapers.. those might have twin drums.
Even when the hydraulic controls came out many contractors preferred the cable power units. I grew up around and working for a company that cleans up train derailments. Back in the mid fifties, before they used sidebooms, they had several D9's with cable control blades. I have seen what those units can lift.... amazing. They used to re-rail railroad cars using the blade control winches. If set up right, they could lift enormous weights that hydraulic cylinders would never do.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Yes, Tim, I've seen what a cable dozer can lift. We had a 14A used around the portable crusher and we used the dozer to lift the front of the trailer mounted crushers to level them. Never broke a cable doing it.
Mike

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Caterpillar graders were once gearbox operated. Every component on the thing is another gearbox. I've a good friend with shoulders, and arms like a gorilla able to put on a real show operating his. There is never a second he isn't making two adjustments simultaneously.

My Power Wagon has two winches. It was simple logic when I added the dump body, that it be winch powered. It'll spill three tons in three seconds.

There was once a D7 nearby, I never saw it move, it had a rear winch, and overhead cable/pulley rig to hoist the blade. The blade alone must have weighed a few tons, maybe more.

Willie

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
D9 we purchased and our old d7e.

Attachments

• received_10213723891554443.jpeg
    received_10213723891554443.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 47
  • received_10213710124530276.jpeg
    received_10213710124530276.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 46

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
There's something majestic in that. Building roads where no road has been before. In VT that isn't easy to do. Today I was on a piece of property too steep to be real, no ledge to form a cliff, just gravel. I'm guessing that Silas Griffith, Vermont's (He Claimed) first millionaire, had had one of two major log/charcoal settlements very near by. In the late 1800's they had no trucks, no hydraulics, Gravel was loaded on plank bottom wagons exploiting gravity where they could. Men stood on wooden structures 6 feet above the level the wagon sat on, and shoveled. Left handed shovelers were in short supply. Wagons were unloaded by twisting the planks that formed the floor up on edge. I believe I was at a vacation home built atop Silas's gravel pit. I have no other explanation for this formation of earth.

A very nice picture of Heaven.

Willie