• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Young Man Trying To Get Started

YoungOne

Hello,

My name is Michael and i am new to the forums:usa. Let's start off with i am 18 years old, I just graduated Highschool. And i have been in the United States ARMY for two years! In the Army i operate equipment, Andi have went to a civilian school. My instructors who operated for countless number of years and owned and operated HUGE companies. Told me that i have unlimited potential if i can just get in the seat. I sat around and thought about what they said for a long while. And i decided that i would do anything to get in the seat and do what i already love. And that is to operate equipment. I have had the oppurtunity to work with a great small company as a labororer and before i left for my Basic training/ AIT. The owner started to let me use the equipment more and more. Most of the time the Roller, But hey it's a start right. I am just gracious enough that he thought enough of me to give me the chance to load a few trucks one day. I told him " Arent their guys that have been working in the whole for years that deserve this " And he said " There's a difference between you and them. You learn from your mistakes, And you learn something new every day. Their only here for a paycheck. Your here to work. " That felt good coming from an owner.

My questions for you that have been operating for years, And owners.

How do i earn that chance at sitting in the seat? I dont mind doing labor work. Not at all. But i love Anything with hydraulics and that's what i want to make my living around.

Does it take more than hard work, Want, And Trying to learn everything possible about the business to get that oppurtunity. Or does it just take PURE operating skills.

While working with the fellow i mentioned before i realized that if i were to stay in this business for the rest of my life. ( which i hope to ) That i would want my superintendents etc. And myself once i become an owner one day to be just like him. I told him the day i started for him. " I don't know alot, But what i don't know you bet yourself i'll learn as we go " And he said " I'm willing to show you everything i know, if your willing to learn. "

Any tips/ concerns. Am i on the right track? Or what should i do differently to get a foot in?

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa

Thanks,

-Michael-

BTW I can currently operate Dozer ( Rough grade, Finish grade And I have used lazors for final grade. ), Mobile crane ( Military ), Excavator. BackHoe Loader, Rubber Tire Loader.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
First off, welcome to the Heavy Equipment forums. :drinkup

With your seat time and the desire to run equipment, I'm sure you'll easily find work.
I've been operating equipment for 30 years.
Every day I learn something new.
Every day I try something different.
And every day I get to play and roll around in the dirt.
And get this.... I get paid for it! :D

It doesn't get any better than this!

There's a great bunch of people around here Michael.
Make yourself at home and enjoy the ride...

Check out the link below.

It's a good place to start.....

:cool2

http://www.iuoe.org/link_system/local_links2.asp#bookmark

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF YoungOne! :drinkup

YoungOne

Thanks for the link it helped alot. Money isn't really important to me right now. It's more about learning the trade. And Running the equipment. Saving money is all i plan to do anyways.

-Michael-

God Bless The Soldiers:usa

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Just practice, if you have nothing to do on a saturday or sunday ask your boss if you can go mess around with a machine. Alwyas be safe and try not to get nervous when people start screaming thats how accidents happen. Don't get discouraged either when you go to start your own company. It takes a while to figure out how to bid jobs, how to do something effectively etc. Good luck I give you a lot of credit not to many kids these days have the push to do anything productive anymore.

Lashlander

I think the Operating Engineers have a program called Helmets to Hardhats. Its a program to help soldiers get into the apprenticeship program I believe. You might check into that.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Good luck to you. I had the previllage, or not, of comming from a family owned earthmoving biz. But the fact of the matter was, I wanted to run equipment like my dad and he was willing to show me and let me run. I would say for you right now, having the desire to learn will go far, as owners want guys who are not afraid to work and try things. Had an awesome operater working for us after he retired and he always said, only way you are going to learn is to sit down in the seat and starting moving dirt. Good luck again.
Jason

dumptrucker

Your definately on the right track. Just keep telling the owner that you want to learn how to operate more, and keep doing what your doing , working hard.

It may take a while but he already know's your a good worker and not there for just a paycheck. Just be patient , and vigilant. When your in that machine and somebody starts yelling at you to do something you think is unsafe or just not comfortable with yet , DON'T DO IT! A lot of operating is using your head not just your hands. There are guy's out there that are the jealous type and will try to set you up. Just use your common sense.

It seems like you got the right attitude, and work ethics , I think you'll do just fine. Like mikef87 said , ask him if you can come in on weekends and practice.

Good luck , and thanks for your time in the service!:usa :usa :usa

Ghettofab75

I'm trying not to hijack this thread, but along similar lines; How does someone start out in the industry? I'm 30 and trying to change careers. Do I join the union first? Will they train me? Is there some kind of waiting period? Do I find a job first? What job am I looking for for starting out, laborer of some kind? I don't mind starting at the bottom, I just need to know where that is.:D

Thanks,
Kevo

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF Ghettofab75! :drinkup

mikef87

Occupation
Ghettofab the operators have an apprenticeship program that I think is 4 years long. You learn a little about everything. look up information on the international union of operating engineers in your area and you can get contact information.

Ghettofab75

Thanks, allready sent in for my application to the union. :) No idea how hard it is to get in though. Its union #3. Whats a more difficult apprenticeship to get accepted into operator or mechanic? I'd prefer to be an operator, but my previous auto mechanic expereince may help me out getting into the mechanic side of things.

Kevo

mikef87

Occupation
yea when you start off if you have mechanical ability they like it. I had to get an oiler for a crane i have and the oiler they sent me didn't know how to check oil. So a mechanical background will go a long way.

wethead

Occupation
Webmaster / Pool Guy / Dad / Heavy Equipment Buff
I am no where near a professional like most of the guys here, But I do remember back to when I was 18 and used my first machine ( skid steer ) , to digg out an above ground pool :)

It was fun for sure, and to this day every chance I get I try to learn more machines.

Th best advice is like what the others said ,

Stay with it and keep on learning, time will get you were you need to be :)

Great to see more people getting into this industry

385Diggin' Doug

Hello,

My name is Michael and i am new to the forums:usa. Let's start off with i am 18 years old, I just graduated Highschool. And i have been in the United States ARMY for two years! In the Army i operate equipment, Andi have went to a civilian school. My instructors who operated for countless number of years and owned and operated HUGE companies. Told me that i have unlimited potential if i can just get in the seat. I sat around and thought about what they said for a long while. And i decided that i would do anything to get in the seat and do what i already love. And that is to operate equipment. I have had the oppurtunity to work with a great small company as a labororer and before i left for my Basic training/ AIT. The owner started to let me use the equipment more and more. Most of the time the Roller, But hey it's a start right. I am just gracious enough that he thought enough of me to give me the chance to load a few trucks one day. I told him " Arent their guys that have been working in the whole for years that deserve this " And he said " There's a difference between you and them. You learn from your mistakes, And you learn something new every day. Their only here for a paycheck. Your here to work. " That felt good coming from an owner.

My questions for you that have been operating for years, And owners.

How do i earn that chance at sitting in the seat? I dont mind doing labor work. Not at all. But i love Anything with hydraulics and that's what i want to make my living around.

Does it take more than hard work, Want, And Trying to learn everything possible about the business to get that oppurtunity. Or does it just take PURE operating skills.

While working with the fellow i mentioned before i realized that if i were to stay in this business for the rest of my life. ( which i hope to ) That i would want my superintendents etc. And myself once i become an owner one day to be just like him. I told him the day i started for him. " I don't know alot, But what i don't know you bet yourself i'll learn as we go " And he said " I'm willing to show you everything i know, if your willing to learn. "

Any tips/ concerns. Am i on the right track? Or what should i do differently to get a foot in?

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa
Thanks,

-Michael-

BTW I can currently operate Dozer ( Rough grade, Finish grade And I have used lazors for final grade. ), Mobile crane ( Military ), Excavator. BackHoe Loader, Rubber Tire Loader.

Well it certainly does seem that your heart is in the right place.First of all you are correct in acknowledging that you have to earn the right to be in the seat.Starting as a laborer and getting on the rollers is a good start.Being on the roller gives you a good opportunity to view everything that goes on.Listening and paying attention to older operators is key to.You have to want to do this because you love it not because you have to!!Take pride in your work even when those around you don't.Don't be afraid to ask questions.If somebody won't give you a straight answer then that just shows their ignorance.I have been doing this for over 33 yrs and still try and learn new things everyday.Every day is just another day in the sand box !!!!!Good luck to you and keep us posted !!!:usa

CaT1029

i am in just about the same boat, i am just outa high school, my biggest trouble is getting people to realize that all they have to do is tell me what they want done and ill do it, and if i dont know how i will ask. ive found that most people wont give you much credit to begin with, they think we're young and dumb. i am also looking to go down the rd of owner/operator someday because i have yet to find an employer that will give me as many hrs as i am willing to work, i have 3 jobs currently, one main full time one and two part time that i go work after im done with my full time job. one rd i am still considering is joining the marines or navy for diesel mechanic skills. does anyone have any info/opinions to share on that? i know how to operate a good number of things, i just want the knowledge to be able to fix my own machine someday, college is out of the question, they make you pay rediculous amounts and then they make you take courses that are pure bs. :usa:usa

ndbackpacker

Occupation
Oilfield Roustabout
If you think college is too expensive and requires too many useless classes, you should look into a 2-year construction management program at a tech school. They're generally pretty affordable (a lot less than a 4-year school anyway) and with only a few classes that aren't directly applicable to at least some aspect of construction management (though maybe not the specific things you're looking to do).

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ndbackpacker! :drinkup

basspro

I am very impressed with the folks on this forum. I only found it a few weeks ago (I am in kinda the same boat as I am 33 & on the local 3 waiting list, Assesment test on thursday!). Any info on that test would be appriciated.

The answers from the folks that know on this forum are really great. Esp. with folks being honest, & giving long term goals (owner/ operator) wich might make some stand offish, doesn't seem to be apperent. I pretty much wanna learn every peice of equipment I can find, not really own my own bizz (been there, not construction, but been there). I feel like I am in some pretty good company. Hope y'all don't get tired of newby questions, as I'll have a ton I am shure.