• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

You think your job is xxxxty?

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Well as the name implies. MANURE TIME!!! Now I don't do this job very much, pretty well the only times I do it is when my guys are on holidays, like they were this past week.

We run a small feedlot finishing on an average year about 400 steers to market. That amounts to a lot of ****. About 1 million gallons a year that have to be dealt with.

The following video, and photos if you want them demonstrate what happens every 6 days (usually) in the barns. The only difference, is much of the year, instead of spreading on the fields, the spreader is unloaded in our million gallon lagoon. However, due to the ridiculous amount of rain we got this summer, it is full and will hopefully be emptied sometime this coming week.

Ok, enough babbling.

VIDEO TIME! This is one of my most elaborate videos and probably the most editing I've done. Lots of angles, lots of information to glean. I hope you enjoy it.

Warren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ouUf7gfpIY

Last edited by a moderator:

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
that ain't nothing....this is poop haha

Attachments

• 5-15-08 011.jpg
    5-15-08 011.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,338
  • empty.jpg
    empty.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 4,366

Grader4me

You did a great job with your video. I enjoyed watching it. Don't think I could handle moving that type of "material" around though. :throwup :D

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You guys may have me on volume, but I can just about guarantee that nobody on this board has handled a wider variety than me.

I used to be a zookeeper.

Aardvark to Zebra, and everything in between. :yup

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
turd hurding gets a bad wrap....its an easy truck driving job with really only 3-4 hours of "actual work" all day...it only gets easier if the lids are at grade, to tell you the truth you hardly even smell it

servicing sewage pumps is a little worse, especially first thing in the morning, but the worst thing i have ever had to do was go down into a man hole...the smell, the sight of turds washing between my feet....it was enough for me

jimmyjack

like dirtman said i'll work in cow crap all day, people crap is gross

nice video, in highschool working on the dairy farm i did that every day, only was about one spreader load though

bigblueox

are the barns you have typical for canadian feed lots? seems like a lot of dead ends. my family runs a dairy farm and we had the self loading bunks like you but have convereted to a fence line feeding system. it's much easier in my opinion and gets the cows out of those musty old barns. i've never been big on stansions. also what barnd of unloaders do you have. and what type bedding is that? we had a large amount of badger equipment and use sand to keep somatic cell count down.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
like dirtman said i'll work in cow crap all day, people crap is gross

nice video, in highschool working on the dairy farm i did that every day, only was about one spreader load though

X2 we had hogs too that worse then cows. When I've done sewer jobs I don't go near it one of our hands got really messed up when some sewage splashed in his face and eyes.

WColtharp

Yep, climbing down 15ft into a sewer man hole with everything slowly rushing by gets old quickly. I was once informed I had to go chip out an invert while with the sewage continually flowed, and I was told the reason for this was to save the $ on not needing to bring in a vac truck and plug the line. If I had done it before and knew that this was going to have the main city line of the street running through it I probably would have declined. It's never an easy task to overcome the smell and the sight of everything you could imagine running between your legs at a decently high rate of speed, nasty stuff.

WColtharp

Yep, climbing down 15ft into a sewer man hole with everything slowly rushing by gets old quickly. I was once informed I had to go chip out an invert while with the sewage continually flowed, and I was told the reason for this was to save the $ on not needing to bring in a vac truck and plug the line. If I had done it before and knew that this was going to have the main city line of the street running through it I probably would have declined. It's never an easy task to overcome the smell and the sight of everything you could imagine running between your legs at a decently high rate of speed, nasty stuff. I always liked water and sewer utility installation until that point....:pointhead

I always liked water and sewer utility installation until that point....

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Feedlot aromas

That's one thing I don't do...

You might get me to take a couple of shovel fulls digging for a septic leak, but I don't play with human poop:bash

I'll push cow crap all day though

A few years ago I had to resheet the gravel in 2000 head feedlot. I watched one of the staff sit under tree in the lot and eat his "smoko" (morning tea, I'm an Aussie) I said how do you handle the smell? His response was "after about 3 days your nose switches off to it". :eek: He was right but I wasn't eating my lunch in there ;):D

Cheers Russ

Last edited:

dirty4fun

I have to agree cattle crap is ok working in human stuff is just not right, for me. Grew up on the farm been in pretty deep but never really bothered me. For a few years we had 1000 - 1200 head around half on the feed floor the rest on dirt. Got lots of practice running the turd hearse as I called it. Had a few pigs around, in the winter they would bunch up and the ammonia smell was pretty bad. Other wise a few loads and never noticed the smell again.

Thanks for the memories!

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
i work for an outfit that specializes in hauling human poop from wastewater treatment facilities and turns it into compost. it smells so bad the company pays all the property taxes for the whole township that the compost facility is in. but after my first week, the only time i smell it is on a hot summer day when we have the shop doors open and the wind is just right, and believe it or not people love it for their garden!

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Talk about a stinking job,nothing smells like human waste
Back in Europe where i grew up there was some old city blocks with an open sewer running on center down between the backyards and that filty ditch needed to be cleaned every so many years.I worked for a guy that took that job on. No room for machinery in the backyard or a way to get there so the water was pumped off and the sludge was drugged with a ditch wide V blade to a street crossing where it could be scooped out with an excavator.
But after the water was pumped off a couple of us had to go in the that ditch up to our waist in waders to fork the tree branches and what ever other stuff people had thrown in over time out by hand.In the meantime we had to be mindfull of people using their bathroom and dump a turd or 2 in our waders when working close to a sewer pipe :eek:
It paid good but boy did it stink.;)

Last edited:

maddog

thanks for the video, for some reason now I'm hungry :roll :laugh Just curious why you don't use a skidsteer for inside the barn?

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
thanks for the video, for some reason now I'm hungry :roll :laugh Just curious why you don't use a skidsteer for inside the barn?

Took the words right out of my mouth, we use a skidsteer for clearing our barns, much better for maneuverability, but you sacrifice a bit of traction.

durallymax

I get to haul plenty of hog and cow slurry. Dont do the human stuff although we have had it injected on some of our land before.

On our dairy we pump around 4,000,000 gallons of our own, 1,300,000 gallons at our hog farm, and maybe 500,000-1,000,000 gallons worth of custom work, just took delivery of the new slurry tanker last week, it was pretty for about a half hour.

IMAG0147.jpg