• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

You know what they say, when it rains it pours, hydraulic system question

Lee Timmons

Hi all, back again for some more info.
I was finishing up the job from Saturday this evening,when I heard the fan belt start to squeal. My first thought was either the water pump, alternator or power steering pump had locked up. When I turned around I saw what I expected, blue smoke pouring out from under the hood.when I jumped off the machine i saw liquid pouring from under the front of the hoe. At first I thought antifreeze,but soon realized it was hydraulic fluid. It appears that the hose from the hyd.tank slipped /blew off the tank spout. It looks like a regular radiator hose with two hose clamps on each end, my question is short of the hose clamps being loose (which I don't think they were) what would do this? Excessive pressure? i didn't think the tank would have any pressure to speak of,is there a vent that could be clogged somewhere? How about over filling? I just added fluid on sat morning,but i was careful to only fill to the cold fill line.although the outriggers where down,could they make that big of a difference? It was just getting dark when this happened so I didn't check anything tonight,guess I'll just have to figure it out in the morning. Also just thinking, I ran the hoe 7 hours on Saturday, wouldn't it have blown off then if over full?
thanks Lee

Bertrrr

Occupation
mechanic
what kind of machine is this ? If it's a hydraulic holding tank that a hose hooks up to w/ clamps , that can only be a return line / not pressurized. my hydraulic reservoir is built into the frame ( case ) so no real holding tank per se.
post a photo or 2 , someone on this site will recognize the problem.

Lee Timmons

Tinkerer,
I take it number 17 is the air filter? It looks like a regular fuel filter. I'll bet that's what it is. Thanks so much, I'll let you know when i get home later, Lee

Lee Timmons

Hey Tinkerer,
you hit the nail on the head,that's where the problem was. I traced the black rubber hose from the hyd.tank to a silver filter almost like a fuel filter located on the firewall, took it apart and blew through it and it wasn't clogged, but the hose leaving the air filter to the bottom of the frame had a mud wasp nest in it.cleaned it out and back in business. The hose that got blown off was a little hard to get back on, it took two people and a couple of screwdrivers ,very,very stiff i can't imagine the pressure it took to blow it off.
anyways i wanted to let you know what the problem was,and to say thanks
Lee

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hey Tinkerer,
you hit the nail on the head,that's where the problem was. I traced the black rubber hose from the hyd.tank to a silver filter almost like a fuel filter located on the firewall, took it apart and blew through it and it wasn't clogged, but the hose leaving the air filter to the bottom of the frame had a mud wasp nest in it.cleaned it out and back in business. The hose that got blown off was a little hard to get back on, it took two people and a couple of screwdrivers ,very,very stiff i can't imagine the pressure it took to blow it off.
anyways i wanted to let you know what the problem was,and to say thanks
Lee

Thank you for reporting your finding. It is so nice to get the solution to better help folks in the future.