• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

You can't smell that?

Welder Dave

Guy helping me on the track asked me to back up the tractor to put the landscape rake on. I backed it, flipped the lever and locked the left brake so the tractor wouldn't move. Got out, helped him hook it up and away he went. The brakes aren't very good but you notice the tractor drags when you start off. About 20 minutes later I went over to see how he was doing and noticed a smell like burnt rubber. Waved at him to stop the tractor, "Don't you smell that?" as I saw smoke coming from the brake drum. He said his sense of smell isn't that good. He got off and said, now I smell it. If the brakes were better he would have been going in a left circle. Unfortunately I can't do everything myself but that's why I like to be the one running my equipment.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I know whatcha mean..
I had a friend "help me" put a deck belt on a rider 1x.. I was on 1 side he was on the other..
All done.. he fired it up as I went to do something else.. I didn't get 5 steps away when I smelled something burning & then I hear a POP..
The DA had looped the belt around one of the belt retainers & it burnt thru the belt in seconds when he put it in "cut"..
That's a smell anyone w/ common sense knows.. let alone a 45 year old mechanic..{him}
That's 47.00 I'll never get back..

Oldcatpusher

I was grading out the fill behind scrapers one day smelled something burning and watched one of the scrapers dump and as soon as it was empty his back tires were skidding. He had a broke airline going to the rear of the scraper and didn't even notice the air pressure or it pulling hard.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
I think about all the hay balers that have burned because the softy operator is buttoned up in a nice AC cab with his tunes jamming and can't smell anything until its an inferno and then they let the baler AND tractor burno_O. I had a bearing fail and noticed an excess load but knew exactly what was wrong when I got the wind on my back through my open cab and smelled something burning.

td25c

On second thought maybe not :eek:…. You never know what those MX riders will show up with ?

LOL :D

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The horn on the park brake of new Holland backhoes was a great invention. I see a lot of guys jump in and beeeeeep. Other than that, it would be left on.