• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yanmar Vio20-2 solenoid issues

Reuby Tuesday

Hi Folks,

I have acquired a Yanmar Vio20-2 mini excavator that has suffered an engine bay fire ( a common occurrence it seems).

I have since replaced all the damaged hoses and have rewired the machine. It a base level machine, so zero features, no cab, nothing. The box of 'spare' wire we removed was quite significant.

The two solenoids on the side of the oil pump - as far as I understand
1 - tram / travel ( to speed up travel when foot pedal down)
2 - safety / hydraulic lockout ( when the levers are down, the hydraulics are locked out to prevent accidental movement)

These were both replaced with genuine Yanmar units, brand new.

When we checked the wiring, we found that they both had a dead short / connection between both wires to the solenoid.

I went back to the supplier - apparently there is no way the units were DOA as Yanmar test everything, and they only have a 6 month warranty, so at 7 months I'm out of luck there.

Thinking about the problem, there is a small amount of oil coming from where the solenoids bolt into. I'm concerned that there is oil getting inside the solenoid internals, and causing a short across the windings - which would explain the connection across both wires.

I have the engine running fine, the dash is working, and I can lift the blade up and down - so hydraulics are working.

So my question - after all that

Is this area where the solenoids bolt to supposed to be wet or dry?
Is there an internal seal somewhere that could have been heat damaged and no longer holding oil?

Cheers
vio20-2 solneoids.jpg