• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yanmar Injectors

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Have had to destroy a few on removal but the silicone to the cup unit wins the Booby prize, NOT ever seen that!!

First time for me as well DMiller, I was temporarily stunned when antifreeze flowed everywhere when I finally pulled #1, including down the #1 hole, until I figured out why. Hello suck bucket! Had to get a machine shop to make some tooling for me as well as modify a swedging broach to install a new cup with the head still fitted to the engine.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I got the tool from Hoye..
As we suspected, it a BIG 25lb slide hammer w/ the end machined to screw down INTO the nozzle nut.
The injector is super easy to disassemble where it sits.. as a matter of fact, as I was "tapping it" lightly w/ a brass drift, trying to get it to turn.. it turned alright.. turned right out of the nozzle/bottom nut..
It'll get on it when the sun comes up..
NOW I'm wondering.. this thing has got some weight to it.. THEIR shipping fee was 25.00 TO ME..UPS.
I'm wondering if its feasible to KEEP the tool rather than shipping it back & paying THAT FREIGHT FEE..
Tool rental is 10.00, shipping is 25.00??..vs the tool cost of 88.00..
what the heck.. I'll get more than half my money back..
I guess it all depends on how much the freight charges are gonna be to ship it back.??

StanRUS

I got the tool from Hoye..
As we suspected, it a BIG 25lb slide hammer w/ the end machined to screw down INTO the nozzle nut.
The injector is super easy to disassemble where it sits.. as a matter of fact, as I was "tapping it" lightly w/ a brass drift, trying to get it to turn.. it turned alright.. turned right out of the nozzle/bottom nut..
It'll get on it when the sun comes up..
NOW I'm wondering.. this thing has got some weight to it.. THEIR shipping fee was 25.00 TO ME..UPS.
I'm wondering if its feasible to KEEP the tool rather than shipping it back & paying THAT FREIGHT FEE..
Tool rental is 10.00, shipping is 25.00??..vs the tool cost of 88.00..
what the heck.. I'll get more than half my money back..
I guess it all depends on how much the freight charges are gonna be to ship it back.??
25lb slide hammer, um and $25.00 shipping fee. Designed to discourage rent and return, IMO.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
LOL !!! I'm keepin it..
I already called & told them to take it outta stock..Lol..
They "ONLY" billed me 74.36 for the tool?? website says 88.00??
50.00 shipping & 10.00 rental is 60.00.. for 14.00 I got myself a real DANDY tool..
SO.. if anyone has the misfortune of working on 1 of these baztards.. I got the tool..

OH.. BTW> it worked GREAT.. I REALLY thought I was gonna split the nozzle nut !!!!
I smacked that slide pretty hard about 5x.. & it didn't budge..
Then, 5 more times with some azz behind it & it started to move.. man, that was tough..
& I have been soaking it in penetrating oil for DAYS !!!
If I didn't know any better I would have thought someone put "green loc-tite" on it..{non-removable}
If anyone is interested, the thread pitch is>> 19 x 1.5mm..
Ya might just wanna stick that info away for a rainy day??

ianjoub

I have been soaking it in penetrating oil for DAYS !!!
Next time, try carburetor cleaner instead of penetrating oil. The carb cleaner will dissolve the carbon buildup, which is why they are stuck. I learned that trick from the triton motors with the plugs that broke.
jAqqcE
https://goo.gl/images/jAqqcE
jAqqcE

StanRUS

Found pneumatic hammer set up on U-tube
The Würth Injector Removal Tool Kit combines impact and vibration to quickly and easily remove stuck diesel injectors.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am having a hard time understanding this whole issue.

Does this engine have the injectors like the larger JD or old Isuzu where the fuel comes in the side and bleeds off to a rail on top?

And you are slide hammering it out by the bleed rail bolt threads?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
BV> to understand it better, you'll have to see the injector.. go to Hoye Tractor, click JD650 & scroll down to the injector..
I TRIED to hammer it out from the bleed hole.. no go.
The 2nd slide hammer in the video, is the one Hoye sent me !!!! That baby had some weight..

kenh

Would be interesting to see an independent test of the Wurth taker-outer vs the slide hammer.
In the Wurth commercial we know who must win!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Does anyone know how much $ a regular slide hammer like that costs, off the top of yer head?? {2nd hammer in vid}
Harbor Fr. has the "kit" for 80.00 but not the BIG hammer alone..

Watching the vid I noticed he's TAKING THE INJ. APART.. That's NOT how u get an injector out..
What about getting the injectors "checked"?? THATS out the window at this point..

I see what your saying Ken.. he really did give the "big hammer" a chance.. I'll BET that if the slide hammer was ALL he had, it woulda been a diff. story.. lol

StanRUS

Watching the vid I noticed he's TAKING THE INJ. APART.. That's NOT how u get an injector out..
After a bit out internet searching; there are probably 30 outfits selling injector pullers that require TAKING THE INJ. APART. Italians, Germans etc; looks like very pricey tooling. Würth offers pullers with 10, 20 hydraulic pulling power!

What about getting the injectors "checked"?? THATS out the window at this point..
MY 1st though; pumpguy would really be thrilled having a customer bring in disassembled injectors. OEM valve springs; aftermarket replacements?

I see what your saying Ken.. he really did give the "big hammer" a chance.. I'll BET that if the slide hammer was ALL he had, it woulda been a diff. story.. lol
Agreed. Vibration and impact does work for loosening hydraulic cylinder gland nuts, when a 6 foot spanner wrench won't budge the nut. I still can't rap-my-head around $87.00 pop tester without a gauge follow up pointer, LOL. IMO kind of hobbyist type tester!
Cheers people