• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yanmar B50 - Steel vs Rubber Tracks

Brian Gallagher

I have an early 90's Model Yanmar B50 and it currently is equipped with steel tracks. I'd like to switch over to rubber tracks but I have received conflicting information that I may need to change and/or update components of the undercarriage. I've done a fair amount of searching and cannot find a definite answer. Has anyone converted from steel tracks to rubber? Local dealers don't want to bother with a 30 year old excavator.

Rihpper

Occupation
Owner/operator
I’d imagine you at least have to change bottom rollers, carrier rollers and idlers. Probably sprockets too.

Rob Gunn

Just a idea but maybe consider just adding rubber (or wood) pads to your existing steel tracks? I have a couple friends locally that have antique John Deere Dozers and they bolted rubber pads to the steel track so they could run in parades and go to local tractor shows and not have issues with pavement.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Sounds good to me Brian. It makes sense to me if you often run on pavement. My first excavator had steel tracks...just bought one that has rubber. I'm strictly a back yard hack, not a pro by a country mile, so never run on pavement. I like steel tracks better for dirt. <beer>

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have an early 90's Model Yanmar B50 and it currently is equipped with steel tracks. I'd like to switch over to rubber tracks but I have received conflicting information that I may need to change and/or update components of the undercarriage. I've done a fair amount of searching and cannot find a definite answer. Has anyone converted from steel tracks to rubber? Local dealers don't want to bother with a 30 year old excavator.
You can buy bolt on rubber pads. Not sure about your machine, but we put them on our 308. They just bolt over you steel track pads