• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yanmar B-50 Grey Market Machine?

Haymaker101

Hey guys, going to look at a Yanmar B50 tomorrow. I have heard that these machines can sometimes be gray market ones and have a hard time getting parts for. How do I tell if it’s grey market? Japanese safety decals? Anyone have any experience with older yanmar excavators? Anything to double check?

Thanks

Coastal

Have a picture? I had a komatsu pc50uu-2 and it was actually a yanmar b50... Basically identical machines.

Haymaker101

Thanks for the response. I can’t copy and paste craigslist ad for some reason. If you go to Craigslist, Western Massachusetts and type in Yanmar B50 it will come right up. Please let me know if you have success, thanks

Tags

A friend and I bought one years ago, maybe 2002 or so. It was definitely a grey market machine. It showed about 2000 or so hours on the meter and from the looks of the machine that was about what it looked like it had on it but I'll never really know for sure. It was all green/teal and actually had a cab, have never seen many of the B50s around with a cab. We had it for a couple of years, the thing ran like a top and never gave an ounce of trouble and we sold it for more than we bought it for to a local fella. I just saw it about a year ago on a job so I know it's still running. If they aren't asking too much for it I don't think you could go wrong. What are they asking for it?

Joel59

We are running (2) B50's. One with 9000 hrs! We love them, and they have been very reliable. Good reach and power in a very movable package.

Joel59

I'm almost certain that it is. Most of them were. It wouldn't frighten me off. I bought mine knowing it was grey market. I get filters from John Deere, most major parts are available on ebay, or can be bought from dominion parts in Virginia I believe. Most parts places won't talk to you without specific part numbers and serial numbers though.

Haymaker101

0B55DD64-2DAA-4B73-A718-300CA50D9506.jpeg Hey guys, The only serial that I could find was 22857b.
Nonetheless, I bought it and brought it home tonight. Time to try and find a manual and a new bucket (pretty worn.) anyone know other machines compatible bucket size?

Tags

On the one we had we added a Tag Wainroy style coupler an bought a 30" digging, 48" grading, and a 16" trenching bucket. That set up is very reasonably priced and gives lots of digging options. We also added plumbing for a thumb, the valve is there, we just have an lines and a relief valve. If I remember correctly we also ordered the foot pedal and linkage right from Yanmar. Hope you have great luck with it!

Benson.226

On the one we had we added a Tag Wainroy style coupler an bought a 30" digging, 48" grading, and a 16" trenching bucket. That set up is very reasonably priced and gives lots of digging options. We also added plumbing for a thumb, the valve is there, we just have an lines and a relief valve. If I remember correctly we also ordered the foot pedal and linkage right from Yanmar. Hope you have great luck with it!
Tags- Do you have a part number for the foot pedal you used for that hydro thumb setup? I can't seem to find anything online from Yanmar.

Des Taylor

View attachment 176722 Hey guys, The only serial that I could find was 22857b.
Nonetheless, I bought it and brought it home tonight. Time to try and find a manual and a new bucket (pretty worn.) anyone know other machines compatible bucket size?
Hi Des here. I read somewhere on a thread that you had a pdf copy of the Yanmar B50 repair manual. Would it be possible to email me a copy. The address is desjyaylor@bigpond .com Thanks in advance Des.