• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WWII Warbirds

Cat287B

I got to go home this last week so I got some pics of these old birds before they leave Central Fl. Had I gotten back sooner I could have gotten some of a P-40 and 3 Spitfires.
First up is a P-38 Lightning that has just gone thru a 2 year renovation. I have posted some of these pics in another thread and have found out some of the info was wrong,sorrry.
This P-38 is painted up like Putt Putt Maroo but it is not that plane. There were 3 Putt Putt Maroo's in the Pacific Theatre but none made it back Stateside. They are having a hard time tracing the historyof this bird. It was in an air force in S. America after WWII.
PeteShips & planes 003.jpg

Ships & planes 006.jpg

Cat287B

I could only show 2 pics because others were already posted in World war II Weekend, sorry. I'll skip ahead to the first time I saw the plane flying after its restoration. It's really quiet compared to the P-51's because the exhaust comes out on top of the engine. To me this one dam good looking plane!!
PeteShips & planes 074.jpg

Ships & planes 075.jpg

Ships & planes 085.jpg

Ships & planes 087.jpg

Ships & planes 088.jpg

Cat287B

T-6 Texan

The famous trainer off WWII. 18 year old kids learned to fly in these things, when they were done in the T-6 they went right into single seat fighters.You can stillgo for a joy ride in one of these, I would highly recomend it.Ships & planes 058.jpg

Ships & planes 059.jpg

Ships & planes 060.jpg

Cat287B

Next project

This is what they will start on when they're all done with the P-38. Anybody seen one of these flying around lately? I'm not up on the German planes, long nose 109 maybe?Ships & planes 019.jpg

Ships & planes 020.jpg

Ships & planes 021.jpg

Ships & planes 022.jpg

Ships & planes 024.jpg

Cat287B

P-51

Heres a Mustang they did about 6 years ago. They made it into a 2 seater for training and joy rides. They did a fantastic jobon the restoration and it's kept in mint condition.Ships & planes 027.jpg

Ships & planes 028.jpg

Ships & planes 026.jpg

Ships & planes 043.jpg

Ships & planes 047.jpg

cat 385

i like the corsairs not sure why, just think they are cool birds,black sheep was on the other day i had not seen it in years i sill enjoy watching it.

49cat112

Occupation
Contract maint for VX-31 China Lake Ca.
The German bird is a Focke-Wolfe FW-190D long nose replica. I think it has an Allison V-12 for power....the original had a Jumo inverted V-12. There are only a few originals left in the world. None fly. The replicas are exact in most eery detail from what I understand....with modern avionics and far more reliable!

Not sure when the first flight for this one is....soon I hope!

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Hamilton Standard props---Yes! I assume the P-38 saw action in New Guinea? A little piece of history is that Charles Lindburg flew P-38's and helped the crews to conserve fuel by keeping the throttles at max conserve throttle until they needed the fuel for fighting. The P-38's had high rates of failures due to running out of fuel on those long runs to fight the Japanese. It was said once you backed the throttles back you could hear all kinds of noises and pilots would get into this mind screw mode and listen for engine failures since it was a known fact the engines weren't so reliable.
Beautiful pictures you have shared with us and the P-51 is most impressive!
Thanks

wormkiller

Occupation
IUOE Local 150
Radials are neat, but the sound of a P-51 taking off is pure joy. I worked at a local airport where a well off guy kept one. Whenever he opened his hanger the crew would wait to see him taxi. Imagine 4 621s, D8 ,D3 and packer all shuttin off just to hear an old warbird crank up. Poor Foreman could'nt make us move till the plane was gone.