1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

WTB! : Looking for some sort of autograde for my D5M XL

Discussion in 'Integrated Machine Control' started by Sleeper90, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

Hello all, haven't been on here for quite some time, heck even had to make a new account cuz I couldn't remember my old one!
    Anyhow, I'm looking for an autograde system to put on my D5m XL that I recently purchased. It previously had something in it before at its owner since new. (Operating engineer school)
    Please give me any and all info on this as I have never been around it. What will work best for it? What kind of cost am I looking at? I have heard from equipment dealers that you can pick up used systems very cheap due to technology changing so fast..any truth to this? Anybody have anything they're looking to get rid of? Thanks guys

2. Chad@SitechTR

Chad@SitechTR Active Member

Really depends on the type of work you are doing, and how much you are wanting to spend. A laser system may work well for you. It also depends on what may have been on it before. If it's still wired up for a system, you might benefit from renting a system when you need it.

3. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

Thanks for the reply. Here is what it looks like now:

This is inside the cab
    image.jpg

This is outside the cab
    image.jpg

This is on the blade on both ends
    image.jpg

4. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

The 2 bolts on the inside of the cab is the only thing that I can find that would've had something to do with some sort of monitor

5. Chad@SitechTR

I'm pretty sure it had a Trimble Site Vision system on it. It's a pretty outdated system now, but there are some people that are still using it.

6. Chad@SitechTR

Was it any wiring/cables left on the machine anywhere?

7. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

I haven't been able to find any cables. Could I pick up a system like this anymore? Could prolly get very reasonable being outdated? I don't necessarily have the need for a laser system but it would make jobs go more efficient for me

8. Construct'O

Construct'O Senior Member

Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
    My guess they were just using a laser and receiver.Mount on blade could have just been a pole to mount the receiver on.If it was auto there should be a hydraulic valve to run the blade up and down.I would be looking for that,under the floor plate or below the seat some where.

Unless you have a bunch of 3D project GPS get expensive.If your just doing laser work then laser works fine for pads,but with a graded laser you can do some 2D slope jobs.

Knowing what to look for in used GPS equipment is the catch.Outdated means just that! in some cases.Good luck

9. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

What kind of system should I begin to look for in a 2D laser setup? I have a Leica single slope laser right now, I know single slope can only do so much, but could I start with that and just get the "other" pieces for the dozer for now?

10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Yes. Only thing that matters to lasers is the color. If you are only using on the dozer, a couple of LR50R's would work great. They would be capable of being used with a auto-grade system in the future.

11. Chad@SitechTR

if you are just looking for a 2D indicate only solution right now, one or two LR50's would get you going. If you want to run automatics, the machine would have to wired up again. It's all about what you want to do and how deep in your pockets you want to get

12. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

What other options do I have besides these LR50s ur talking about? Like I said I'm new to this (if you will) "deep" into laser systems so I guess I'm just trying to get as much info from you guys as I can to start piling up some research. Give me something to do over the turkey-day weekend!

13. Chad@SitechTR

14. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

The receivers are all basically the same, Bullseye, Futturra, and Spectra are identical. The +3, MR3, and LR30 (brand accordingly) are strictly vertical indicate receivers. The +5, MR5, and LR50 have vertical plumb compensation within +/- 2°. The +6, MR6, and LR60 have angle compensation. This means after a simple calibration process, it will compensate for the angle of the stick on an excavator. I'm putting the manual for a LR60 on here, just disregard the info about plumb and angle compensation if you're looking at the base (+3, LR30) models.

Attached Files:

15. Sleeper90

Sleeper90 Member

Thanks guys. I will check them out this week/weekend. Appreciate all the info! I'm sure I'll have more questions after I get reading!