1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Wrecking Ball vs High Reach **video**

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by EarthRockHill, Jan 27, 2010.

1. EarthRockHill

EarthRockHill Well-Known Member

Industrial Photographer
    In August of 2009 I photographed the demolition of a pair of cold storage warehouses in Lowell, MA for Testa Corp. They were originally going to be demolished with a wrecking ball swung from their 1971 HC238 Link Belt Truck Crane. When concern arose regarding the proximity of one of the buildings to neighbors on the right and powerlines to the rear they decided to bring their 2008 Komatsu 1250 PC with a Jewell High Reach and LaBounty Shear in as well.

Although separate buildings, constructed two different ways, they shared the same footprint on the site.

As machines and attachments arrived it became apparent that there would be a showdown of old school versus modern technology, The Wrecking Ball vs The High Reach.

YouTube - Wrecking Ball vs. High Reach

2. ddigger

ddigger Senior Member

contractor,owner operater
    Very cool thanks for sharing. There have been many times I have either swung or dropped wrecking balls with my excavator, very effective!

3. EarthRockHill

Industrial Photographer

I have 2 votes for the Link Belt and 1 vote for the High Reach..... what do you guys think?

4. mikef87

mikef87 Senior Member

owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
    I'd say the ball looks more effective but for finesse work the high reach would probably be your best bet.

5. Cat is ALL

Cat is ALL Well-Known Member

High reach was quite a bit a cleaner, I imagine quite a bit cheaper as well. (I thought crane operators got the good wages)

6. Demo_Andy

Demo_Andy Well-Known Member

Demolition Machine operator
    My vote is for the high reach, slightly biased but.... the arguments for a high reach far outweigh that of the wrecking ball.

Good video btw Stephen, I like all your work.

7. Turbo21835

Turbo21835 Senior Member

Around here, demolition scale for an excavator operator is the same as a crane operator running less than 400 feet of boom.

8. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Cool vid

9. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

I like the way the comparison was made. Goes to show both ways are able to get the job done. To ask which is better is a matter of perspective.

Operators perspective: Komatsu is much more comfortable and less effort to run. Has to operate with a great deal of care to not damage the machine. Link belt is a workout to do this work with, but is pretty forgiving with minor mistakes.

Company owners perspective: Link Belt, paid for many times over, could be replaced inexpensively, but why, it was built to last. Komatsu, probably a $2 million investment, and it would be a surprise to see it in use productively 39 years from now.

10. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Never though of it like that excellent point. Dang now I really need to learn to run a crane. Should of done it when I had the chance.

11. OneWelder

OneWelder Senior Member

On the late news last week or week before they showed a brick building in Lowell they said was being demoed. - a worker was hurt by bricks blowing off one of the walls. Rescue people formed a human shield until they got him to safety
    I am not a demo guy , but it struck me as odd the way they were doing it
    Three brick walls probably 5 stories high, no roof, no floors, one end wall completely gone- also did not appear to have bracing of any kind
    Just surprised they left the walls standing at that height with poor mortar - on building that was coming down

12. EarthRockHill

Industrial Photographer

That's because it was a construction site, not a demolition site in Lowell.

Totally unrelated to this job.

Its an old mill building that was gutted by fire decades ago that is being rebuilt as affordable housing units.

See attached story. Lowell Sun.com

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  13. Demo_Andy

Demo_Andy Well-Known Member

Demolition Machine operator
    The komatsu might well be a $2 million dollar investment, but its well worth it to the company. Think of the multiple jobs this machine can do compared to the crane-

grab, dig, hammer, etc, etc.

The crane is pretty much a one trick pony, the komatsu is expensive but earns much more than that crane.

And high-reach resale is good.

14. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Andy

Don't get me wrong, I was not knocking the Komatsu, and it is a very versatile machine, but I was merely pointing out the long life of the simple method of the drop ball on a crane, versus the high cost of the new iron.

I do stand on the doubt that the Komatsu will still be in service in 39 years, unless it were to spend a great many of those years mothballed.
    Is it still worth the high cost? It is as long as there is a need for the type of work it does.

15. heavytorching

heavytorching Member

heavy torching/scrap steel processing
    pretty cool,great video,if ya had a crusher on site you could make yer own 21aa and make even more$$

16. EarthRockHill

Industrial Photographer
    Testa's Terex Crusher came in later in the process. Nothing is wasted. Everything is recycled and/or redistributed.

First the building was brought to the ground. While that happened rebar was systematically removed from columns and supports with a LaBounty muncher on a 345. Then concrete was crushed while the sub-basements were dug and hammered out.

17. oldtanker

oldtanker Senior Member

Ret
    Pretty cool vid. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing of demo except the kind that comes out of the barrel of a tank cannon and what I learned in a demo (the kind that goes BOOM) course. I can see where both the crane and high reach have thier places. I just got an old JCB TLB yesterday. My first piece of construction equipment. So I'd say I'm about to learn things.

Rick

18. demolitiondave1

demolitiondave1 New Member

A high reach is generally 50 - 100 ton machine. Not a great lot of general use on sites here in England for the larger machnes. 20 tonners are the norm, so I think a high reach would not be that versatile

19. Zssi

Zssi New Member

Where can be found new wrecking balls today? Do you know any place?

20. Zssi

Zssi New Member